At What age do you tell kids about sex?

My kids are 10, 8 and 3... and I don't believe any of them know anything about sex. What is an appropriate age to start discussing it? Do you wait until they ask you? I don't want them to be completely clueless, but I don't want them to know too much either, you know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• unless they are homeschooled, I gaurantee that your 10 and 8 year olds know more than you think. Now is the time, bite the bullet and get it done. I did with my 9 year old a few months ago and he was almost able to tell me the basic details along with some wild sidelines that he got from his friends.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• id start talking to your 10year old pretty quick i hate to say this but kids are having sex earlier these days its scary and its better they know the risks and what not befor they start experimenting. Its importent to teach them about stds and safe sex you cant stop them if they do it but you want them to be safe. id say around 10 is a good age to start the bird and the bees talk.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I gave my son the basics and he's 8. And he'd already told me the basics before I got to the point!
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 12:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My son is 10 and his friend actually told him how a baby is concieved, before i could really talk to him.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree, I knew a lot about sex at 8. I didn't understand it, but I knew.
    I'd talk to your 10 year old, that's about 5th grade, and around here their already giving oral and crap. we had a sixth grader pregnant last year!
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I explained the internal female anatomy to my daughter when she was 10. We discussed what she could come to expect over the next year or two with her period starting. We talked about sex when she was 11. I wouldn't doubt if she knew more than she let on but it made me feel good that she played the whole concept off as not having any idea.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My 6 year old is in kindergarten.I heard him use the word sex in a sentence when he was talking to his brother the other day. I told him to stop and that he doesn't know what he's talking about. He said yes he does. His friend **who shall remain nameless** told him all about it. He didn't want to tell me what his friend said. He said he was too embarassed. I've been trying to make him feel more comfortable telling me things and acted like it was no big deal. I hope I can get him to open up a little. I keep reinforcing the point that kids at school don't know everything - that when someone tells him something about ANYTHING, he should check with me to see if its right or not. If he opens up, I'll gage how much I should tell him. For now, I'm just trying to get him to not be embarassed.
    MrsT6102

Answer by MrsT6102 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• DD, who is 6, knows about kissing and how that is something that you only do to someone you've known a long time and who is very, very special. I mean, for heavens sake, if you're going to let your kids watch that Disney crap, you've got to explain what kissing is and why it's so d-mn important!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I remember i was seven years old when my parents talked to me about sex, but when i was about 5 or 6 i had a pretty good idea what sex was already (by friends). So when my parents told me the details i was not in shock at all. I think if you teach them young and teach them how to have a healthy sexual relationship will benefit them in the long run (pushing no sex it always the best though).
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I started talking to my kids about sex about age 4 or 5. Nothing graphic, but enough that they knew where babies come from, that you should be married before you have sex, that no one should try to touch them or have sex with them, etc. Now that they are 6, 8, and 11, I answer questions when they come up. There is no reason to wait - they need to know.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 4:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008