Do you agree w/ this?

Do you believe you can do a great job as a parent (no one is perfect), but still have your (grown) child totally mess up their own life, or worse, turn out to be a criminal? I can't help but feel like no matter how hard we may try as parents, certain things are out of our control. But then moms are usually first to be blamed when things do go wrong. (***this has absolutely NOTHING to do w/ the Casey Anthony trial)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Yes. Absolutely. You can teach a child in the way that they should go, but that is NO guarantee that in later life they will not stray from it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes, my parents were great and they have 2 children that have grown up and done pretty well for themselves (my sister and I) and both of us are in the military, but our brother is another story, he has been arrested more times than I can even count, and I believe there are still a few warrants for his arrest in other states. He has never paid taxes in his life because he works under the table and he completely uses the system...the only time I ever hear from him is if he wants money, he called me the day I got home from the hospital after having a c section with DD, he called not to say congrats or anything of that nature, he called to ask if I could give him $200!!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes, I've seen it first hand.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 4:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• you can only show your child the right doors it is their choise to walk through them.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 4:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think parents can be great parents are their children still grow up to be bad BUT if a parent has 4 kids and they all grow up to have problems, well then maybe we should look at the parents who raised them
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It's prob harder on the parents for having tried to raise a decent kid.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 11:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think it is a sad but true thing. I personally believe some kids are just born with a screw loose. You can tell from the time they are very young because they steal from their classmates, bully weaker children, and hurt animals. I recently talked to a very sweet lady who has fraternal twins, age 18. One of the twins is an honor's student headed off to college. Very nice, respectful boy. The other is in prison for breaking and entering. He has always been a bad seed. Bad seeds are born, not made.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 6:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• "good parents" is the key. Are they really good? You don't know what happens behind close doors.

What I have seen is parents hide their kids mistake, and they don't tell them pay for what they have done.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• oops and they "don't let" them pay for what they have done.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011