What do you think of this? Bratty kids not allowed on flights?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/05/granderson.bratty.kids/index.html

Interesting read....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am just going to second meooma. That would be awesome and I would spend more for the silence.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 5:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• how do you know which kids will be bratty prior to takeoff? :P
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Usually the kids who are bratty on the flights are the same ones behaving badly in the terminal. There's a big difference between a baby crying because his/her ears are plugged from the pressure and a 5 year old kicking the back of the seat the whole flight.

I've felt this way when my husband & I go out for a rare evening out without our son to a nice restaurant, only to be treated to other diners who've brought their over-tired, too young children with them.

I think other people would love our kids more if we didn't expect everyone to be absolutely tolerant of them everywhere at all times.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I didn't watch it, but I just would like to get to where I am going safely. But I agree with the first answer here.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 4:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• That entire editorial speaks the truth - it's not about the kids at all. It's about the parents. Specifically, it's about the parents who let their kids run wild in public and expect everyone else to be sympathetic, instead of being a mature adult and taking their child out of the restaurant/movie/store/etc.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I have worked with special needs children and they do understand and can comprehend when they need to behave and not be loud and obnoxious they may be special needs children but they still understand what is right and what is wrong to do. They may need to be told a few times but they will get it and learn
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have had way too many flights ruined for me because of screaming, ill behaved children. They should keep the kids at the back of the plane and provide bose noise reducer earphones for anyone who has to sit near them.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 8:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think the article made an excellent point. I would, however, like to express that it can be difficult to distinguish between a badly behaved child and one who might have a disorder, such as autism, that makes them difficult to keep quiet/control. Should those children be excluded from flights? I do think that 90% of the time it's bad parenting, but it's not always easy to tell.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 8:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• lifetimelove
    I agree with her answer,I have a multi handicapped son and we are flying In Oct, more than likely he will scream the whole flight if his comfort toy( a plastic hanger ) is taken from him. I talked to his docs about meds but they said for the time line not worth the risks.My son is a good kid,he is 15YO but needs certain things to help calm him. He is also nonverbal so telling us what is wrong is out of the question.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 10:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I was hoping that some parents who either had or understood special needs kids would respond to this. It does not seem fair to lump all children together. My niece has autism, and is non-verbal and hates to be confined. However, when the child is simply spoiled and out of control, it is just wrong to ruin what might be somebody's only night out without the kids. My husband and I went to a movie by ourselves for the first time since before our son was born over a year ago, and were hoping to have a lovely, quiet evening together. Then, into the theater walks a mom with a 3 year old whining child on her hip. It was 6 pm and the movie was long and wasn't over until 8:30-9. For over an hour into the movie we listened to the kid whine and cry, then we got up and left, got our money back for the tickets (the manager refused to go in to make the mom leave) and went home. So much for date night.....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011