• In the Spotlight:

My kids are talking like babies!

My kids are 3 and 4 and I have a friend who'd child is 3.
My kids have a great vocabulary and when they want or need something they tell me in full sentences. ex. Can I have a drink of water? Her child speaks kind of babyish. ex. me drink. My kids have started talking like this too and it is driving me nuts! I tell them that they are big kids who have big words and that they should use them.
Am I wrong to be bothered by this? Should I tell my friend how I feel?
I'm concerned for her child as the 3 yr olds will be going to school next year and I'm afraid her child won't be able to properly communicate with the teacher and she won't be there to explain what it is that her child is saying.
She is a good friend but she is very sensitive and I don't want to upset her. But I also don't want my kids regressing.
If you think I should talk with her, what/hoe should I say it?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Keep correcting your children, but be careful about bringing up the issue to her about hers. She likely "knows" there is a problem, but isn't yet willing/ready to deal with it. Assuming he has regular checkups, the dr should see it as a problem if he isn't talking lots better by the 4yo checkup. And if he does go to a school next year then it will be addressed by the teacher - which will be more acceptable to the mom than her friend saying "there's something wrong with your kid's speech".
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Should you be concerned about your kids or hers? I would continue to address it with your children and if that happens while she's there, so be it. BUT, I wouldn't make her child's speech an issue with her.

It's ok to say to your children, "I'm sorry. I don't understand you when you talk like a baby. If you want something you need to talk to me like the big kids you are." BUT, unless you think there's a developmental issue and you're offering support like "maybe she'd benefit from speech therapy" I think there's a line being crossed in bring up her own child's speech patterns. Especially since you say she's sensitive. People rarely take it well when their parenting is being called into question. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My 4 year old does the same thing after a day of playing with her cousin. The sad thing is her cousin is 7 and her mom thinks it is cute. I don't think it is cute and it bugs the crap out of me. So...I let my neice talk like a baby because I am not her mom but when my daughter does it I tell her I cannot understand her and when she is ready to ask me like a 4 year old I will do what she wants.

Ahhhh! I really drives me batty!
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008