Problem with the Catholic Religion?

I have ssen real animosity directed toward the Catholic religion. I don't really understand why. Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have animosity towards religion period but the biggest thing people have against the Catholic Church is when they had that huge scandel about all the priests that were molesting young boys and the Church tried to cover it up.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I never really understood that either. I do know a lot of people that left Catholicism for another denomination, or left religion altogether (my boyfriend being one of them, he's agnostic now). The only Catholic people I've ever known were very nice people : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It doesn't really matter what religion you are, the other religion will always be wrong. Just a though...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I dont have any animosity towards the Catholic church. I might have mentioned them in my answes on a question regarding faith. I just spoke from experience. My whole family is Catholic. I am Christian. I still love them unconditionly. But i just speak from experience. And with intentions on helping people through my experiences regarding my faith. Thats all..)
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• the main issue I've seen people have with Catholicism is that they think it's a Pagan religion. Not in your average sense, but people do think that they worship Mary and the Saints. I've tried explaining that they do not worship them but honor them. Another issue is their belief that you have to go to confession and ask forgiveness through the priest. Most Christian denominations believe "once saved always saved" so they disagree with the concept of having to continue to ask forgiveness after you sin.

but like pupmom said, people will always think someone not of their denomination is wrong.
    Anonymous

• What's the difference between a Catholic and a Christian to you aMbeR012005?
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My thing is, its not about religion, its about personal relationship with the Lord. Do you se how religion is just a distraction? I mean its good to belong and call your self Christian, But its about walking , talking and acting Like Jesus. If we all focused on that, we wouldnt feel any type of animosity...ya know?
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think it has to do with the inflexibility, the rules, the outdatedness, and of course, the molestation accusations. I was raised Catholic and I don't agree with a lot of the teachings because of all of the above.

Anonymous

• Hey there Gretchen,
    The difference? Well from experinece, from my personal experiences, Catholicism is more tradition, ritual, no questions asked type deal. I feel alot better cutting out the middle man, the traditions, the confessing to a priest. Its a personal connection with God that i have built . A relationship, a bond.I sin, i ask for forginess from the source Himself. Pirvate, personal, direct . Being born again really put things in prespetive for me .Im living for Jesus . I can still Honor Him and Mary, but privatly, more intimate, more intensly.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• A good part of my family is Catholic. I have no problem with Catholic people - Just the religion itself. Firstly they have altered the bible that they say is so important! Both removing and adding parts. Secondly, paganism is seen as evil and demonistic (as is the view with most Christian religions) yet the practices of Catholic churches are very simply pagan. The incents, the alter, the statues. I am pagan and proud... I just believe if you are so against something WHY are you stealing the traditions and practices of it? I have studied Christianity and the Bible in detail for a number of years. Catholisism is as close to pagan as you can get without actually admitting it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008