• In the Spotlight:

Do you believe that in any given relationship, there is always one person that loves the other person more?

If so, or no, please explain. Share your experiences of relationships with balanced or unbalanced love.

Msunique80

Asked by Msunique80 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• Yes I do believe that one person can love another person more. Sometimes one person can show the other person how much they love them easier than the other person can. I was in a few relationships were he loved me more than I loved him. It was evident in all that he did and all that I did. Plus I felt that he loved me more than I loved him.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes I do believe this to be true. This is not to say the relationship cannot flourish. But I will say that one usually does love a bit more, maybe gives in to the other person more, forgives more easily etc. I think it is because of this that some relationships last. My sister and I have often debated which it is worse to be the one loving or the one knowing it is the other that loves more? I am the one who loves more in mine and the opposite for her relationship. She thinks it is harder when you are not the one who loves more because there is a certain amount of guilt that goes with that. But I say at times it is harder to love more..because you tend to get the short end of the stick and just keep hanging on...who knows?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• IMO, yes. I've been in relationships where either him or I cared for or loved each other in a different way which led to ending the relationship.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes I believe so too!
    Anonymous

• Of course this is true. If anyone can say that they love each other equally, then I would ask how did you measure? Theres no way of knowing for sure. But anyway, there's nothing wrong if one person loves the other more. What matters is that they love each other.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's always true but I agree it is sometimes. I think in my marriage, one of us is sometimes feeling more lovey-dovey than the other at a given moment, but we both have an equal deep and abiding love for each other.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I believe it can be true, but is not always true. Sometimes it can seem like thats the case, but isn't. For instance, one person is just more nurturing and has a more loving personality than the other. It doesn't mean the other loves them any less, just that they don't show it as easily.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Its not like weighing something, or measuring something, and it certainly isnt an amount... I am sure that husband and wife love eachother "equally", but love for eachother is different.
    Anonymous

• It is hard to say because each person loves in their own unique way. You can't quantify it. As long as you both respect and nurture each other and the other is satisfied - that is what counts most.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think that happens sometimes, but it's never happened to me. I've known men and women who seek out these types of relationships (where the other person loves them more) b/c it makes them feel in control. In fact, before he met me, my DH admitted to doing this in past relationships because it made him feel more secure and in control. I personally don't see the appeal and know for certain that my DH and I love each other to death.
    Anonymous