How do you know when your child can stop taking medication for acid reflux?

Grand Daughter will soon be 8 months old -- Would like to know how to know when the medications can stop for acid reflux.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hey! I'm not sure exactly when they can stop taking medications for acid reflux, but wanted to suggest talking to a chiropractor to see if he could help, if you haven't yet. I know a couple of moms who did this with their babies with acid reflux and the reflux issues stopped right away.
    Just an idea. :)
    CrazyForSophia

Answer by CrazyForSophia at 12:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Both my twins were on meds for reflux. I stopped when they stopped getting it, around 4 months when I started solids. I think it depends on the baby.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 1:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I would talk to the doctor for sure, as every child is different. It will depend on the severity of the reflux and the possible reasons for it. My sons were sensitive to dairy, and this made their reflux more severe when they had it. they started weaning off of the meds at about 14 months. But then again, my youngest was really bad - there were days, even while on meds that his breath would smell like tummy acid.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We were told to skip a couple of doses and to see how she did but you need to ask her doctor. Every child is different and every medication is different.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• What our doctor suggested to us was to take him off, and see how he did. We had to take him off and put him back on a few times before he was ready to stop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I took my daughter off of it for a few days to see how she would do when she was a little over a year. She did fine and hasn't taken any medicine for it since. You do need to talk to the doctor though, and ask if this would be ok.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I just wanted to point out that a chiropractor did help me..but also a change in diet did too.

I know around about 8 months my son's started to disappear...
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008