Has anyone given up diet soda and lost weight as a result?

I love diet coke! But with all the bad press it's been getting lately, I'm limited my intake. A male cousin of mine claims that if he gives up diet soda for a couple days, he instantly loses a couple a pounds. So I'm wondering if that's actually happened to anyone. Or is it in his head? Or is it because of his male metabolism?

Bluebird8874

Asked by Bluebird8874 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Drink lots of water, don't buy soda and make it an option. If I get tired of taste of water and need flavor I add a crystal light packet or a slice of lime or orange on occassion, but once in a while.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If one looks at the sodium content, it is no wonder why people gain weight while drinking diet sodas. Tea, juice and water are much better options.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Over a couple days? Is it caffeinated? Caffeine is a diuretic--in the short term, diuretics will cause water loss...but in the long term, they actually make you gain weight due to fluid retention (add to that the sodium that someone else mentioned, and it compounds the problem). A couple days off caffeine, and replacing that with water, could probably lead to flushing the extra fluids out of his system for at least a couple lbs, depending on his overall size. But...overall, I'd be a little bit skeptical on the *few days* claim.

Losing weight over time though, I would concur. Research shows that people that drink diet soda (even though it has 0 calories) tend to consume more calories than people that don't drink any soda at all, because their palate is more accustomed to sugar, making them consume more sweets overall.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I have lost since I gave up fizzy water. I am a total fizzy water addict.

I am thinking that drinking it so much must have stretched out my stomach, and made me need to eat larger quanitites of food at mealtimes in order to feel full.

I still miss it, though.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes I did give up diet coke, not only does it not work in losing weight, it is also bad for you. I drink tea and water. We go out to eat a lot and I have seen people also order water or tea.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Icut back and only drank it on the weekends, then I gave it up completely. I drank dt. coke. I have been 100% soda free for 2 months, 5 days. I've lost over 20 pounds. Whenever i drank a soda, i 'fell off the wagon' of good eating and craved (and ate) junk & sweets. I've always exercised. I cut my portions (that was a big part of it), but also the soda. The artificial sweeteners in dt. soda give you the sensation of hunger. they kind of turn off your "full" switch in your head. They create false cravings, but then you give into the cravings anyway. I've noticed a big difference in the way i feel too. Migraines greatly reduced, no more lethargic feelings, and overall no more achy feelings. Doctor said soda (artificial sweeteners) was affecting my migraines, arthitis, and thyroid. The sodium, carmel, and artificial sweeteners in soda is sooooo bad for you.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• i gave up soda for a whole year! i did not touch it once! i was sort of annorexic at the time so its hard to say how it affected my weight but ill tell you i had way more energy that's for sure.
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 3:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2011