Getting married- need advice :)

So my fiance and I are getting married in the next 6-7 months (as soon as my visa for immigration to the US from Canada gets approved) ... originally we discussed having about 30-40 people and keeping it really small...

In doing so, some of my aunts and uncles were offended that I wasn't inviting so and so. So now we've decided that we're just going to have our parents, brothers and sisters and grandparents in a small ceremony.

How do I break the news to my drama filled aunts and uncles who expect an invitation without causing drama?

RigPrincess85

Asked by RigPrincess85 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• Just tell them it is cheaper that way.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Throw a seperate reception/ party for the other relatives where the others can celebrate with you. You can show a video of your wedding and have a great familly/ friend reunion so everyone feels included. It doesn't have to be expensive or lavish. this is just one option, you could do many different things. Good Luck. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• 1) We can't afford a big wedding, so are just doing parents, siblings, and grandparents.

2) We have decided to keep it very small to concentrate more resources toward honeymoon and/or house payment.

Noone can really argue with that.

Good luck and congratulations!!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Tell them you wanted a small ceremony and the venue only allows for x amount of people.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 4:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Do what you need to do. Have someone videotape the ceremony. If the family wants to get together somewhere to see the tape figure out where you could do it. If they have to bring potluck, so be it. Congratulations... Don't let this spoil your joy..grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 5:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I got married in May ad we just went to the justice of the peace so no one was there pretty much so we are just going to do a renewing of vows in a couple of years and invited everyone then...you could try something like that?
    HoldFast86

Answer by HoldFast86 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• invite whomever you want to invite. it's YOUR wedding not theirs. if you feel like giving an explanation (which you don't have to unless you want to), just tell them you are limited to a certain number of people and although you would like to include everyone, it's just not possible. period. end of story.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Just tell them. There's no need to sugar coat it or give them excuses. Tell them this is how you want it. We're having a small wedding and when my cousin asked if family was invited, I said no, just my parents and siblings. I don't care if they don't like it, it's not their wedding.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011