Am I justified in getting rid of the kitten?

My husband and I recently got a kitten. She refuses to use the litter box. We have had her for maybe two weeks and she has not once used the litter box. I just got home from going to family's house for the 4th and I cleaned up 11 piles of crap up from all around the house. We have tried everything we can think of to get her to use the box. I tried 4 different brands of litter in one week, took the top off the covered box, added another litter box,sprayed her with a water bottle when we caught her in the act. We tried spraying some cat deterent where she usually poops. We put the box where she would poop the most (under the kitchen table) and she started pooping under my son't train trable. She peed all over some of my son's toys and I had to throw them away. Its getting to the point where she is damaging the carpet in my rented apartment. There are brown spots all over the place on my carpet. I don't want to get rid of her but I don't know what else to do. My landlord was rather reluctant to let me have a cat to begin with, if she see the carpet before I can get it cleaned she may tell me no cat at all. What makes me feel the worst is we are just going to go get another kitten. No bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Sounds like she needs a family where she can be an outdoor kitty. No, it's not wrong to give a pet a home where they are comfortable and happy, and really, she would be happier where she could have the world for her litter box (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• U cannot trade one for the other! R u picking out a toy!! Put kitten in bathroom with litter box and food and water. Stop changing litter,the kitty is scared!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Teach your kitten to use the litter box!!! When she messes on the floor, scoop the pile into the litter, put the kitten in the litter, take her front paws and make digging motions. She's a baby, and likely wasn't taught because she is too young to really be away from mom cat.

I've litter trained kittens as young as three weeks to consistently use a litter box. Their instinct tells them to dig, and if you give them a place to do so 99.9% of them will use the box.

If you take this one somewhere and get rid of it, you really shouldn't consider another cat until you learn a little more about them. Cats are easy ... almost THE easiest pet to share your space with. As someone else mentioned, this isn't a 'toy'. It's a living, breathing animal. Most likely it's too young and scared. Think how you would feel, or imagine how your child would feed. It's a cat, it isn't human, but it DOES know fear, loneliness, and needs love.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Use an enzyme to clean up where she went otherwise the cat will keep going there. Relocate any accidents to the litter box. I always kept my new cats in the bathroom until they acclimated to our home. This might be a territory marking behavior.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Feral cats can be trained, the house cat are domesticated for hundreds if not thousands of years....there is really no such thing as a "Wild" house cat only a cat that has adapted to living in the wild. I have adopted feral cats and tamed them and had no problems except a slightly more sketish or shy cat but that was rare even.

The cat can be crated just like a dog but the great thing about cats is that when you're not home you can lock them in the bathroom with the litterbox and they can't do as much damage as a dog. I agree with the suggestions made before. You just have to be persistent and not give up. If you can't handle this kitten how r u going to train another? Has the cat been checked out medically for any infections? What does your vet recommend?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Have you showed her where she s supposed to go? Put her in the litter box, take her paw and gently paw at the litter. If she poops where she isn't supposed to pick it up with a tissue and put it in the littler box and show her where the poop is and take her paw and cover it up. Has she seen a vet? Maybe there is a health problem.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• all my cats have been kittens born from outside cats,I have no problems. The bathroom sounds like a good idea,cats dont like to poop where they sleep. Also try caging her at night/when u leave,same therory. If necessary buy a used playpen at yard sale and turn upside down
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 9:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Next time the kitten poops on the floor, put the poop in the litter box. Confine the kitten to a smaller area until it's fully potty trained. Try feeding and watering on a schedule. Try vinegar and water for the urine spots on the carpet, blot try not to rub the spots.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• The litter box is in the bathroom so maybe I could keep her in there for a few days and see if things get better.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Good!!! Do that!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011