What the secret to getting breading to stick?

Whenever I tried to make pork or chicken with breading, it would come off in the frying pan. I'd like to try again. What's the secret to getting it to stay on during the frying process? Is it the oil type or temperature? The temperature of the meat?  What am I missing?

I know I can do it in the oven and get it to stick but I'd rather not run the oven in the summer. We have lots of pork and chicken without it being breaded, but I'd like to give breading it one more shot.

Please Help!

JSD24

Asked by JSD24 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Oh and peanut oil has a very high burn temp so it is great for frying. Use only enough 1/2 cover the item you are frying and turn half way.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• You have to coat the meat with something first - like milk or egg or water and then bread or flour it. Oil needs to be hot but not so hot that it is smoking.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Put the chicken in buttermilk (submerged - basically you're marinating it) for at least 4 hours. Drain the excess off, season it, then dredge it in flour (no egg or anything in between). Make sure the melted shortening or oil is half way up the side of the pan once the chicken is and at least 325 degrees (some recipes say 350, some say 350 is too high, just experiment - 325 works for us). Cast iron is best, but we use stainless, too. Leave the chicken about 10 minutes per side - don't mess with it in between - leave it 10 minutes, then turn it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• dip it into whisked eggs then put the crumbs on it then fry it. that should work. it has for me!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• in addition to what most people have said you should pat it dry first, then put it in a wash (egg, milk, etc) then flour it.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• DIP THE MEAT IN RAW EGG THEN PROCEED.......
    lovevlj31

Answer by lovevlj31 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I had successful breaded prok chops tonight. I wasn't using enough oil when I fried. Thanks for the tips!
    JSD24

Comment by JSD24 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2011