Baby dilemma

My daughter is 6 and 1/2 months old. My husband says she is spoiled because I "cater to her every need" meaning that anytime she cries I will pick her up. My heart aches when she cries. I know as soon as I pick her up the tantrum will stop...immediately, where as with my husband she will cry for 20 plus minutes with no end in sight! The other night, I attempted to lay her in her crib before she was asleep ( keep in mind she does sleep in her room every night, by herself) but usually she is asleep when I put her in there. She screamed for a good ten min and the hubby and I had an argument whether to let her "cry it out" or to go to her. OF COURSE I went in there.... Did I do the right thing? As soon as I picked her up, I sat in the rocking chair and she was out in seriously 2 minutes. Then slept in her room, alone, for 7 hours. Who is right?

cailynsmommy626

Asked by cailynsmommy626 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 6 months old you cannot "spoil" a baby. And what's wrong with showing love and affection to your child at any age? At 6 months your baby is learning to trust you, that you will be there when (s)he needs you. That's how I feel. That being said, at around 7 months I did start to let my baby cry for just a little bit at bedtime. Of course not for long, but just for a little bit, and a few times she did just fall asleep on her own after a few minutes. I always say that you have to do what feels right. It's hard when DH doesn't agree with your instincts, I've been in this situation many times! All you can do is try to communicate with him, let him know how you feel and why you do what you do, and try to compromise. Hey, if he wants to put the baby to bed and give you a break, then let him! Let him see how NOT easy it can be!
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 6:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• You're right. A 6 month old can only communicate by crying and babies need to be cuddled.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't think crying it out should happen until they can actually verbalize what they need...and that doesn't happen at 6 months. I agree with what you did.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• i too catered to my daughters every whimper and am glad i did. her dad gave me the saaame arguement.. but if you feel your baby needs you then odds are he /she does! my daughter is three now and soo awesome. .. it is true its not spoiling its just loving... alot!.
    cantewe

Answer by cantewe at 11:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• my DH and I argued in this area also, although our situation was very different than yours with our son having colic.. I hope you guys get on the same page, how about you both looks at the pro's and cons and read some sleep books or books together about raising infants and see what you both come to agree on. >Good luck - sometimes I think being single would have been so much easier. Good luck..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• see then you are already compromising lol!~I told DH he can take over discipline and making decisions once school age sets in.. although clearly not truth or real, I want that to be the case.. lol! i swear he fights me every step of the way even though I've been right 100 times out of 100 times.. men!~Lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• hahaha, agreed, but then she would be in my bed every night, I LOVE to snuggle with my baby!
    cailynsmommy626

Comment by cailynsmommy626 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I never let my kids cry. Not one time. They aren't spoiled. They are loved. How horrible to let a baby cry.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• thats too young to be crying it out.. but u should pick her up every time she crys either.. try to hand her a toy.. put her in a bouncer a swing etc..
    Anonymous

• Crying is not going to kill her. A baby needs to learn to settle themselves down. If some sort of schecdule is used bedtime will be better for her. She is cuddled, bathed calmed down then put to bed. You can try music. That helped my grandaughter. It is not necessary to jump every time she cries. I agree with you husband. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 12:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2011