Rice cereal

when did you start giving your child rice cereal my two month is always cranky during the day she always wants to be held and i can only feed her she wont eat for anyone else and plus she sleeps in the bed with me she sleeps almost all night when did you start rice cereal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all,get her out of the bed and into her own. My son was 2 months old and I put in 2 teaspoons into a bottle and shook it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My kids would not touch rice cereal with a 10-foot pole. I didn't start either of them on it until they were 4 months old.

Two months is TOO YOUNG for anything but nursing/formula.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My first i did at 5 months because my mom was bugging me. My second I waited till 6 months. Both were big babies about 18 lbs at those ages. They certainly were not starving. I did nurse both of them and they seemed satisfied. Don't rush it. This is the easy time. She may just need to learn to cry a bit. She may also be gassy . My first was very fussie as the day progressed then I learned that if I put her to bed by 6:30 all was good. Hang in there and try to be patient. I don't think the rice will make a difference and their belly is not ready to digiest it. Call your pediatrician and talk to them or a nurse. Make sure they don't want to check her out. It never hurts.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I started my son at 3 months. He is 10 months and only weights 21 lbs. He hated it so we didn't eat a lot of it. Do not put cereal in your baby's bottle. The whole point of starting cereal is so your baby will get use to a spoon. At 6 months I started stage 1 food and now he is an excellent eater. Ask your doctor if your not fully sure.
    JAWSMOM2010

Answer by JAWSMOM2010 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I never did rice cereal. It's crap, in my opinion. And at two months it's dangerous. Your two month old wants to be held all the time by you because YOU ARE HER MOTHER. It's normal. It's healthy. Get a sling or some sort of baby wearing device. It'll save your sanity. =) As for cosleeping, nothing wrong with that if you're doing it safely.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 7:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We did it at 4 months but he hated it until more like 8 months
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 9:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Leave her where she is! There's no reason to change that.

Rice cereal? Never. It's junk that tastes horrible. Banana, six months. Made no difference on sleeping or needing to be held.

Don't mess with anything...you're doing FINE! Changing it would be messing it up.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i didn't start till about 7 months, each baby is different. Now that I look back I don't know if rice cereal was the best thing for him. So, we had that as something with his formula but it was a very short period of time.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If she's hungry, feed her. Breast milk or formula, not cereal. Her tummy most likely can't digest it. A hungry baby needs the calories and nutrients in breast milk or formula to grow and thrive, and the cereal will likely just fill her up so she takes LESS of what she needs. As far as sleeping, if co sleeping works for you, go ahead and continue. She's sleeping almost all night at 2 mos? I wouldn't change A SINGLE THING right now. I don't advise anything other then breast milk or formula until AT LEAST 6mos. I started cereal with my oldest about 5 mos because I didn't know as much as I do now. I introduced solids (skipped cereal) with my 2nd about 8 mos, but he didn't really like it and eat everyday until about 11 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2011