Can my husband stay in dorms for a retraining reenlistment pcs?

We get bah but we own a house and he's being pcsd but we get restationed back here when he's done. So I'm staying here with the kids and the house and pets. Will he be able to stay in the dorms or will they force him to get an apt since its a 5 mnth retraining pcs vs tdy and we get bah cause we can't afford two places! Oh and does it get any easier this is his first time away from me in 5 yrs and hell miss both my sons bdays our youngest first year in school all the holidays and our bdays I'm already crying everyday and he doesn't leave for 2 more months.

Mandalou927

Asked by Mandalou927 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• no, i doubt he will be able to live on post in a dorm or barracks. he should be able to stay in the geo barracks, its for people who are married but their families live somewhere else. but i dont know how long he can stay in that housing i think 30 or 60 days. but maybe he could meet someone and stay with them during school. 5 months is nothing. i know it sucks because its during the holidays but really you can handle it. it will be hard at first, but it will get easier. it will never be easy and things wont be normal until he's home but it will just be a new normal until then. atleast he's not deploying overseas. if you need anything you can e-mail me privatly. my hubby has deployed twice and the last time was 9 days after our daughter was born and i'd cry myself to sleep for the first couple of months... so yes its hard but you are strong enough to make it through
    julie.f

Answer by julie.f at 6:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• no cause that explains BAH. I need to know since we already have BAH are they going to make him get an apartment or if he lives in the dorms will they take away his BAH... hes only 1 week past a TDY
    Mandalou927

Comment by Mandalou927 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• He will not be able to get dorms or they will remove bah. Other than that, I do not know. You need to talk to finance.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 10:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• When my husband was at his duty station and I was waiting to get orders to come over to his duty station, we received BAH and he lived in the barracks. I also knew of soldiers who lived in the barracks but their families stayed behind in the states ( we were in Germany) and they still received BAH. I think they had to pay a small fee to stay in the barracks though.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• That would b great even if we have to pay a small fee!
    Mandalou927

Comment by Mandalou927 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I found this "If you have dependents, you will receive the housing allowance, even when staying in the barracks at basic training and/or technical school/AIT/A-School. This is because the military makes it mandatory for you to provide adequate housing for your dependents. This will be included as part of your regular paycheck (Note: In the military, your monthly pay entitlements are paid twice per month -- 1/2 on the 1st of the month, and 1/2 on the last duty day of the month). For basic training and/or technical school/AIT/A-School, you will receive the BAH amount for the location where your dependent(s) are residing." at http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/military6.htm.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Also, I asked my husband about the fee and he said your husband will not have to pay a small fee for living in the barracks but he will have to pay a small fee ($2 a meal) for eating at the Mess Hall if y'all receive BAS.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2011