Is it possible? Packing 1 adult(female lol) and 4 kids into ONE suitcase?

My kids are 4 and under, and it's a trip from tomorrow morning until monday, so 6 days we'll be gone...and they're in a wedding so I have shoes for the wedding, dress for DD and suits for the 3 boys. My mother thinks it's possible and I'm flabbergasted at how she thinks i'm supposed to get all of our stuff there. The three older ones have little backpacks each filled with stuff to do/things to eat along the way, they have paid seats....could I get away with a carry on and a backpack each for them?
Help me figure this one out ladies!
I should mention the first bag is $25 and a second bag would be $35 each way...so $70 MORE I'd be paying for bag #2 if I HAD to take more than one.
Please bump! I need all the help I can get with this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Travel

• I don't think it's possible. My thought is that any bag you might check would be either overweright or over sized and an additional charge. Check with your airline though. They all have different rules.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• most airlines will allow each person a carry on. I think the new thing to do is if know where your going they send things ahead to be waiting on them when they get there. Some times cheaper than the airlines. If you roll things up, up socks and things in shoes will take up less space, Try those storage bags that suck all the air out of them might work. If you have somewhere you can do laundry that would help as well.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 7:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• You bet! When I was in the Army, we rolled our clothes. The Military Roll I call it. You'd be amazed how much you can pack in one suitcase :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Do you have large carry ons?? Pack everything you can into the bag you are checking and then have the kids (that are old enough) bring a back and AND a larger carry on. Getting them through the air port may be a pain in the ass, but it will save you some money!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would do one large checked bag, not overweight, for your stuff, plus any overflow from theirs. One carry-on each person, plus their backpacks. Make sure their carry-on is small enough for them to handle. Carry on for you too. Will there be weather changes, you need to consider that as well. My husband has unrealistic expectations for packing as well. We went to San Francisco from Hawaii for a week of vacation and he bitched until I only carried a backpack stuffed with all my clothes. It as miserable. We went from sunny hawaii, to mild anaheim (Disney), to freezing SF. And I only had a thin jacket and no long sleeves. Don't let anyone bully you. You are carrying the luggage, not them. And $25 is not a lot to pay for checked luggage considering you will have everything you need.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 7:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Roll your clothes. Pack for half of your trip and do laundry. also keep it simple, lay it out a few days before and then scale back. I am still a work in progress but I usually travel with a carry on suitcase and backpack for me and my two girls. They each have a small backpack to entertain themselves.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I too was going to say roll you clothes, my mother taught me that(she is x-milltiary) but the vaccuum seal sounds like a great idea too! I would only take 3 days of clothes plus wedding stuff for each child and do laundry for them(even if I had to go to the laundry mat and would also only bring 3 days for myself with stuff I could mix and match plus wedding clothes.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Your bags would all be 25. Each paid seat can have a bag. Remember too sometimes if your bag weighs too much you will also be charged. I would pack 4 outfits for each person and do a load of laundry. I just packed two adults and two kids in one suitcase. I was able to pack so much rolling it that I actually overpacked.
    HeatUSA-Tunisia

Answer by HeatUSA-Tunisia at 10:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2011