When is it appropriate to start giving your child an allowance?

RigPrincess85

Asked by RigPrincess85 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• IMO-never
    Chores are a part of the family pitching in to make the household work
    If your kid does chores for someone else--like a job--then they'd get paid for THEM

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We started 1/2 way through 1st grade. They were learning about counting money and we though it was a good idea. It's been teaching them about math and budgeting.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My kids (4 & 6) have certain chores that earn money. things like clearing their dishes or cleaning their room are expected parts of being in this family. My 4 yo sorts laundry, my 6 yo vacuums the dining area with the smaller vacuum, my 6yo dusts, my 4yo puts a trash bag in the can. we have a chart and if they do those chores during the week they get paid. But we don't give them an "allowance". They have to earn it.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Any age really if they learn to earn it I think, my almost 4 year old has a bank which went she helps out doing little things we put money in it for her and whenit fills up we put it in her bank, I think as she gets older she will still do certain jobs, chores to get her allowance which then will prob go directly to her and we will encourage her to save half if it each time to put into her bank account, i would say she would be about 9 - 10 when it starts going directly to her.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I give my 4yo an allowance. It's to help him learn to manage money. It also teaches him that there are certain expectations, rewards for working hard. He gets 50 cents a day, and he's already saved up to buy a lego star ship that he really wanted. We've also opened a bank account for him, and any money he receives as gifts (birthday, Christmas, etc) goes into that account. We'll let him use that if he has anything extra special/expensive that he wants. My husband had over $8000 saved by the time he graduated college because his parents used these techniques.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 8:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• lol that the answers went immediately to "chores." I had to go back and re-read the OP to make sure I'd read it right since I was going to answer about an allowance, not anything about chores, or paying for chores!

I don't know what is an appropriate age but for us, 5 years old seemed about right & that's when we started giving our daughter an allowance. I agree with a previous poster that halfway through 1st grade her class covered counting money & change; she was very in tune with the issue already & processed that material easily.

We made the decision to give her a set allowance ($1 per week; she gets it on Sundays) & not to tie it to chores or behavior. We don't use it as a reward or a punishment; it is just money she gets for herself. She can save it; she can spend it. Generally, she saves for awhile & spends small amounts from time to time, or else she makes a few special bigger purchases then begins saving up again.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2011