Birth control question

I guess you can say I'm just a tad paranoid :).....I was on depo....but after talking to the dr -decided to give the pill a try. I started taking the pill while the depo was still effective since it take about 7days for the pill to kick in (dr. said to do it that way since the depo was only "effective" for about another 6days) Anyway.... I of course hear all the stories of people getting preg. while on BC. but was always told that it only happens 'cuz they aren't doing it properly. So...if taken properly...everyday-same time don't miss a dose...I'll be safe right & don't have to worry?? I've never really been on anything other then depo...so as you can tell...I don't have much "faith" in the pill just yet

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Health

• I guess it depends on the person and the kind of pill. I got pregnant with my son on the pill but it was because my doctor switched me to a lower dose
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 1:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'm on Loestrin24Fe. This is the 1st time I've taken anything other then depo. I guess you can say I worry more 'cuz my mom told me she was on the pill when she found out she was preggo with me.....

I know I'm probably being paranoid.
    Anonymous

• I've been on the pill for years and years, me and hubby never use condoms, and I've not gotten pregnant.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• All birth controls have a failure rate even when used properly. If you haven't gotten pregnant on Depo, your odds are pretty much the same with the pill as long as you remember to take it each day. Don't worry about it, the odds are really low. Easier said than done, I know.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It depends on the pill, but if you use it correctly you should be just as safe as you were on Depo. "Correctly" means taking it the same time, every day, no exceptions. So many people say, "I was on the pill!" but then it turns out they missed on. Hello! That's not exactly taking it correctly, is it? I set an alarm on my cell phone that goes off at the same time every day so I don't miss it. No unplanned babies in seven years. ;)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I took the pill properly, never missed a single dose, and it was a high hormone dose....I got preggers on it. Almost everything has a fail rate.
    Anonymous

• My nieces got pregnant on depo and my cousin got pregnant on the pill so i don't trust any of it.

desiraee20

Answer by desiraee20 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I will give you some hassel free options that many women including myself have tried and are very happy with> OPTION #1 NuvaRing is a comfortable, flexible ring about 2” in diameter. You insert it into your vagina once a month — the exact position isn’t important for it to work. Once inside, NuvaRing releases a continuous low dose of hormones to prevent pregnancy. NuvaRing is as effective as the Pill when used as directed, but you don’t have to take it every day. You leave NuvaRing in place for 3 weeks, then remove it for a 1-week ring-free period. You should get your period during this “week off.” (Using NuvaRing as prescribed, you will continue to be protected from pregnancy during the ring-free week.) Exactly 1 week after you take NuvaRing out, you insert a new one.

texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• OPTION #2

Imagine having hassle-free birth control for up to 5 years (or less, if you choose).1 Birth control that, once removed, allows you to try to become pregnant right away and adapts to your contraceptive needs throughout the different stages of your life. That's Mirena, an estrogen-free intrauterine contraceptive that delivers small amounts of hormone directly to the uterus. Other benefits of Mirena: 99.8% effective in preventing pregnancy for up to 5 years (or less, if you choose)1 Provides lower and steadier hormones than the Pill Won't cause significant weight gain2 Easily removed with quick return to fertility1 May also help shorten, lighten or even eliminate periods3

texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• OPTION #3

Women like the Patch. Millions of women have embraced the ORTHO EVRA birth control patch with great enthusiasm because it fits into their active lifestyles. In fact, 95% of women are satisfied with ORTHO EVRA as a discreet form of birth control.* Women find ORTHO EVRA convenient and easy to use. In a clinical study, women who used the Patch were more likely to use it consistently and properly than women who took birth control pills

texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2008