Just got home from my 38 week OB appointment

Doc say my cervix is still not doing anything!!! :( SO disappointing!! She predicts I will be taking it even beyond the 40 week mark. I am so so so so done being pregnant!!! aaahhhh!!! What more can I do to get that cervix dilating?? I walk, I have sex... even when I don't want to! But on a happier note, my dear family friend JUST went into labor this afternoon! :) Can't wait to meet her sweet baby boy!

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 7:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well, if it makes your feel better, I went 41 5/7 with my first lol! My second was a c section at 39 weeks. Maybe the distraction of your friends baby will be a good break! Sleep, rest, eat, do nothing...your close!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Stop focusing on your cervix. It means nothing and is not an indication of labor.

I was at five cm for two months. My BFF was hard and closed at forty weeks and went into labor the next day.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Congratulations to your friend! The baby will come when it is time.

Answer by Bmat at 7:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I am just wondering:
    Why are you getting your cervix checked?
    And why do you have expectations from the information?

Is this your first baby?

Are you having complications?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Be patient the baby will come when he is ready and not before. Its a mistake to TRY to start labor or try to dilate . You are ONLY 38 weeks,. Just take it easy and let nature take care of this.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• relax mama! Baby will come when he/she is ready!! Just enjoy some quiet time and rest up for when labor does come!!! :)
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 8:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• awww i noe your ready... hang in thier
    fyeefatboi

Answer by fyeefatboi at 8:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Im having my cervix checked because ummm, my doctor checks it during my visits? No complications or anything. She always just says, oh man... your cervix is not doing anything... bummer! I assumed that my cervix was supposed to be doing something based on her reactions I guess. Does it not matter my cervix isn't doing anything?
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• And yes, this is my first :)
    Tarrar

• It sounds like you might not be making Informed Consent.

It is really important to be aware that everything is optional and to recognize risks associated with any intervention.
    When something is offered (and it is an offer whether presented to you this way or not), ask about the benefits-risks, options, alternatives, and amount of time you have to decide before choosing.

That can be a lot for a VE (vaginal exam) ---but good to think on for the Cascade Of Interventions that often come after the cervix checking. When you "don't progress" and *need* intervention/induction/your confidence is depleting as you have described, etc.

Vaginal exams are just like playing the Lotto: for entertainment purposes only.
    Unfortunately not a lot of moms know this and might actually have expectations.
    Cervix info doesn't tell us when we will labor.
    ONLY what is happening this 1/2 hour...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2011