For those of you with husbands in the Military

How did you ladies make it through basic...especially if you were pregnant and not sure if you would be able to go to the graduation or if he will be there for the birth...

HoldFast86

Asked by HoldFast86 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• My DH is in the military but he was not at basic when I was pregnant, we met in the military....but he was deployed while I was pregnant and we weren't positive if he would make it back....I relied on my mom and his mom a lot. We live really far away but I talked to both of them almost every day, I don't really have many close friends @ this base. Thankfully he was home in time for the birth! Good luck! Lean on your families!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I wish I could but I'm not close with any of my family or his really...trying to be supportive and not break down from the hormones is proving to be an interesting feat but I will do anything I can to help him through it....thank you for the advice =)
    HoldFast86

Comment by HoldFast86 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Depending on where you live you could also look into family readiness groups that will connect you with other families separated from their spouse. Now might be the time to reach out to your family and his for support because you will need all the help you can get with the kid while he is away and it is better to start building/fixing relationships before your baby arrives. Check with the local fleet and family if navy/marine and the army and air force have similar programs but you can talk to his recruiter to find out how to get in touch with them because I don't know what they are called.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Depending on the branch he is in, he may get to call you quite a bit. I went through CG and Navy boot camp and they don't allow recruits to call more then 1 or 2 times the whole 8 weeks. I know Army (or where my SIL went anyway) they are allowed more calls not sure about AF. Anyway, you just have to keep on living. Don't sit around waiting to hear from him. Don't think about him being gone all the time. Find some good friends if you don't have family to lean on. I always keep a countdown but I try to not think about it all the time. I like to come back to it one day and see we are 5 more days down from the last time I looked! Find a new hobby or pick up an old one, take some classes. Good Luck :D
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Oh wow only once or twice....yeah, the navy is what he is going into. I guess I was just hoping for something more since my friend just went through basic for the army and it seemed as though he was texting me all the time. What about letters? The hard part is going to be that I live in the middle of nowhere so there really isn't anyone out here and nowhere for me to go. This isn't really a Navy state, I'm in TN so I'm really not sure if there would be anything here...I think just finding out today I'm still just trying to let it sink in without tears because I don't want him to think I am changing my mind...it is just the hormones and stuff...
    HoldFast86

Comment by HoldFast86 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My S/O was not home for the birth of our 1st child whie he was in the Marines. He wasn't home my entire pregnancy, and didn't see the baby until he was 6 weeks old. I lived at home, and it was a living hell, but I couldn't afford to live on my own. My S/O was out on a lot of cruises for training and I didn't want to be away from my family when he was on them. We saw each other a total of 6 mos in a 4 yr stint of the Marines, and I'd say I loved him so much and had part of him with me to help me wait for him, our son.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2011