• In the Spotlight:

How can I teach my kids about God without going to church?Is it possible?

I don't like the separation system churches have,are there any home based schools?

nellibatel

Asked by nellibatel at 1:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely! And we don't use the Bible...it confuses things!

We have taught prayer. We have taught the concept of heaven...sooner than we wanted to because both of my parents died. We have taught the concept of doing unto others as we would have them do unto you.

My son couldn't quote a single scripture passage, nor does he know what the Gospels are. But he acts more Christian than the little boy who visits us and spouts scripture, sings hymns and is rude and bossy to everyone.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Separation system? Not sure what you mean?

Why not just schedule regular Bible time at home? Memorization of verses is a great teaching tool!

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Not all churches sepreate kids from the service. Most do though. But you can teach them about the Lord at home. Set up a bible meeting time, maybe discussion time. My son is 3 and he is too shy to go the the kids class during church. so he stays with us. But in thecar ride to and from church we talk about Jesus, and at home, i mention him alot. sometimes attention span for a toddler cant tolerate lecture. But talking about God maybe inculding God in activities might stick more. Good luck! - Amber
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You can find churches that don't separate the family. I think you can and certainly should teach your kids about God, but it is also helpful for them to socialize with other likeminded people. Plus God appreciate worship.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I am sure that it is possible, if you are willing to take the time necessary. My family is currently without a church. My husband has left the choice up to me and I am currently torn between Methodist or going back "home" to the Catholic church. My children attend preschool at the Methodist church, and they have learned a little so far. My "teaching" mainly comes when they ask me questions. Or, they recently asked me to read them our children's Bible, which I did. I am not fully learned on the Bible myself just yet, so I answer as the need arises. They love Jesus though, so I guess we are off to a good start.
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't think I've ever been to a church that did that.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• (separated kids, I mean)
    sfwilson

• sfwilson: do your kids attend actual service or sunday school? That's where the separation happens.
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think most churches do that so that the kids can learn at their own pace and the adults can pay attention to the sermon without a screaming kid sitting next to them. It's not really a bad thing. My kids used to absolutely LOVE going to their classrooms instead of sitting in the "big people" church with me.

But anyways, you definitely can teach about God without going to church. Remember most sermons were originally held in people's homes. So why can't we do that now? Just pencil it into your schedule like you do everything else.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 1:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• just read the bible with them at home and teach them what you believe and when they get older they can learn for themselves
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008