How do you feel about "family" members that aren't blood but play a significant role in your/your children's lives?

Like a friend that your children call "aunt" or an older neighbor they call "grandma"?

My feeling is that you can never have too much family, but I know there are a lot of people who do not allow their children to call people "aunt" or "grandma" if there isn't blood involved.

Just curious.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• I completely agree with you.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 8:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• we have family like that but my family is very aware of who blood is.
    for instance we have a rough patch in the family, my cousins mom gave her children up for adoption, my cousin harbors a lot of mixed emotions, so we family gatherings happen we invite our blood, extended family is optional. It is my cousins choice as to if she wants her there.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• blood doesnt matter to me
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I 100% believe that it takes a village to raise kids. I'm all for that close family friend/neighbor being considered part of the family.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My sons grandma is married to the most amazing man ive ever met. Its not his Bio grandpa but ill be damned if someone were to say thats not your grandpa cuz he's not related to you. He treats him like his son. There's nothing he wouldnt do for my son and does not overstep his boundaries. I feel blessed.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Everyone in my grandma's small town called her aunt, it was just what they did.

Answer by Bmat at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Oh and my son has never met his grandpa on my side because that blood relative is never welcome back in my life. Bloods not always thicker than water.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I feel like the quotes should be dropped. The people who mean the most to me and my children and love us more than any blood family ever thought about.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My children have called my S/O buddie Uncle Tony all their lives and still do as adults and they have always known he is just a dear friend of their Dads. It was more of a respect thing of not calling him Tony, but he didn't want to be called Mr. such and such. My GF had them call her Miss Linda instead of her last name, and not just Linda. We didn't have anyone else that was called a name like Aunt or Uncle, etc. unless they were related though.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Growing up, my parents had a core group of friends, who I called aunt and uncle and their kids became my cousins. My 'uncles' are my dads best friends from high school. They are more family to me than my blood-related aunt, uncle, and cousins. When my parents went through their divorce my faux-family were there for us more than my blood family and to this day, they are more family to me for all their support they gave us. My daughter will grow up calling them aunt and uncle as well. Blood does make make family; support, respect, and unconditional love do. At least in my book
    Bluebird8874

Answer by Bluebird8874 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2011