mirena coil

I had one fitted just about over a month ago and I had the bleeding which has only just stopped , I was releived it had stopped ,but now I have fresh red blood ,(sorry for tmi.) but I want to know is this now my period ?

loulou332

Asked by loulou332 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Health

• It sounds like it could be, or just more spotting. I spotted for about 2 months with mine, and while annoying - it wasn't so bad I needed pads or tampons. I've had it nearly 6 months now and my 'period' only ever amounts to some light spotting (red) for a few days.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Is that the 10 year one? I have the 5 year one, and after I got it, I bleed for at least a month.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think its over 5yrs but under 10 its platic and not the copper one . my hubby is getting so frustrated lol.......
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• The plastic one is for 5 years. I am having the same problem, I got mine in October. My doctor said that in most women the Mirena makes it so there is a lack of lining in the uterus so an egg cannot plant itself there and become fertilized. I was told that the fresh red blood I see on and off is fresh lining shedding from the uterus. I was told it is perfectly normal not to worry and that it should stop very soon. Sometimes I only have a little blood, like a pantyliners worth, and other days I may only see it when I wipe. (sorry if TMI)
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 2:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Sounds like a side effect of the Mirena. I had a ton of break through bleeding with it. It can go on for a long time.
    tamale102280

Answer by tamale102280 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• yes klousmommie ,that is the same with me ,i have nothing on my pad and then wipe myself and blood there Sorry for tmi,but have to explaine.it is frustrating though . My poor hubby keeps asking if I have stopped bleeding and I say yes and then its oh no ,it hasnt . we are abstaining from sex till it stops ,its been ages now .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 3:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2008