How do i teach my 1 year old patience

MY son is 13 months and he is so impatient. He see me getting his food or drinks ready and he just goes into tantrum mode until he gets what he wants. I try to keep him busy or distracted while I'm getting his stuff ready but since he's attached at the hip to me right now its hard to have him not see what I'm doing

SarahShirey

Asked by SarahShirey at 1:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is very age apprioate behavior. He won't really be capable of a several minutes of patience for a couple more years.
    You just keep talking to him while you are getting whatever it is. Mommy is getting the milk. Look, I'm pouring the milk. Look how white it is. Oh goody, your milk is ready, here you go.
    Listening to you will help keep him focused, will give him something to "do", and will make the time go a little faster for both of you. He'll get it eventually.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I do agree with the post before me about talking as u pour the milk. but also one thing that I think has helped up that i read about in a book (happiest toddler on the block) was to start to give it to him then act like u forgot to do somthing that really needs done before u give him the milk wait only a few seconds to start then increase the lenght of time u wait then praise him his patience! it seemed to work with cheyenne! hope that helps some!
    NDAUGHERTY

Answer by NDAUGHERTY at 1:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• In addition to the previous advice mentioned, you can praise him when he is waiting patiently. Let's say you're in line at the grocery store and he's behaving well. Say to him "oh my, you're doing an excellent job waiting in line" etc.

When you're getting something for him you can add to your explination: "I know it's hard to wait but I'm getting your milk, food, whatever as quickly as I can"
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008