Human Thesaurus Out There? Pursue.....

I'm at a loss for words. What is a different way to say, "I had to [pursue] this job?" I need a synonym for pursue.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Just for Fun

• (Most of these don't make sense, but here's the thesaurus.com list haha)

accompany, attend, badger, bait, bird-dog, bug, camp on the doorstep of, chivy, dog*, fish*, give chase, go after, harass, harry, haunt, hound, hunt, hunt down, move behind, nose around, oppress, persevere, persist, plague, play catch up, poke around, prowl after, ride, run after, run down, scout out, search for, search high heaven, search out, seek, shadow, stalk, tag, tail*, take out after, trace, track, track down, trail
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I know. I checked out the same website and none of them were blowing my skirt up, so to speak. Thanks for answering though!
    Anonymous

• apply for?
    try for?
    seek?

Answer by Bmat at 1:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• chase, follow up, seek out. I don't know if those are any better.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• what is it about the word "pursue" that you don't like? What are you trying to convey? Is it too formal? Do you want something more like a common phrase or something more casual? "Pursue" is a good word.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I was going to say the same thing as beckcorc...Pursue is the best word.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I am writing a cover letter. In the sentence before I use the word pursue referring to the reason that I 'pursued' my master's degree. i just didn't want to use the same word again.
    Anonymous

• The whole sentence sounds so negative - like a chore. It's like you were forced to look for the job. If you changed the wording to include "opportunity" such as "when this opportunity presented itself, I jumped at it." or When I saw this opportunity, I decided to apply.
    Anonymous