Where would you teach this-?

OK, most of you know I am working on a huge grant dealing with innovation in education- the 21st century learner, cultural literacy and all that good stuff-

Where would you include religion in a curriculum- to leave it out entirely does not seem to meet the goal of cultural literacy since religion is very important socially and culturally around the world-

I had the idea of putting it in with seasons- ie- winter talk about different religious celebrations of many cultures that take place in winter-

My partner thinks it should fall under history/civilizations- as in when studying the Middle East- learn about Islam and Judaism- same with ancient religions and their roles in ancient civilizations-

Your thoughts.... (this is a k-6 curriculum)

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 8:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It feels more like a social studies/history part of the curriculum. Normaly seasons are taught in science (since the position and posture of the planet in the solar system determines our season), so I don't see an easy transition from that into religions.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I agree with your partner.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I'd say it should fall under history/civilization. It would seem more a natural place to discuss the regions/cultural beliefs when discussing other aspects of those cutlures.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Not sure what your state's standards are so if I was doing this for my state I would do it like you suggested since our standard's don't really talk about other countries/cultures until middle school. However, if your state standards starts discussing other countries/cultures in 4th/5th grade then I would do your suggestion for K-3rd and your partner's suggestion for 4th-6th grade.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Ok- so just for the sake of argument- does that limit it- and make it seem like nations are all one religion or another-the goal is to help kids think outside the box- differently than we were taught- would you put Christianity with American history- would you pin a country with its majority religion-
    hmmm...... just thinking out loud and getting opinions-
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Where would you put Atheism, Wicca, Pagan beliefs....
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• K-6 curriculum I would agree with history/civilizations
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Europe
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Man, I am going to owe her Starbucks-she is posting on an education board to get educators opinions- I am posting here thinking you all are Moms and what we call stakeholders-
    Maybe the educators like my idea and she will owe me a Starbucks-
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Sorry but history/civilizations it just makes more sense.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2011