Why is this?

I see this quite often, especially here on cafemom. People that have very strong opposing beliefs absolutely refusing to listen to and acknowledge the other side. What is the purpose in that? Honestly, is there absolutely nothing to be learned from someone who disagrees with your viewpoint?

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because they think they are right, everyone is stupid and here to listen to them only.
    Anonymous

• I think a lot of people are taught in their personal religions to reject the beliefs of anyone else. If they were to give any tolerance to another religion, that might put their personal salvation at risk.

This is certainly not the majority of people's beliefs, but I guarantee you that some women on here think that way.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I generally assume those people are insecure in their own belief if they can't even stand to *hear* someone else thinks differently. I love reading intelligent, respectful discussion on why people think the way they do... I love learning what makes religions tick. It's just hard to have that exchange here. Some people only seem to come here to try to judge, others come here to convert.. and yes, some come just to rattle other peoples cages. No perfect groups, people, religions (or lack there of).
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Additionally, it's hard, such a delicate topic... if you're trying to express what you believe and what you believe *is* offensive (even without trying) to another group you can start ruffling feathers. Lets say I believe dogs created the world, and there is an opposing religion that announces that dogs are mindless creatures that didn't do anything - that may offend me. They have just tossed my "creator" out as useless while trying to express their belief. Delicate ground for sure..
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• "If they were to give any tolerance to another religion, that might put their personal salvation at risk."

See this is what confuses me right there. How is that possible? If someone is honestly strong in their faith (or even those that are atheist, as I have seen this attitude from both sides) how will anyone's opposition change that? For those that believe that they are being tested, how can you pass a test that you ignore? How can you learn and further your faith if you don't consider the others side and go from there?
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Ah, exactly :D I don't understand it either, it's just what I've encountered around here. I agree with Serafyna, another problem is that a lot of people are insecure with their own beliefs...you'll never ever hear them admit it though.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• its called conceitedness ,they believe there is the only way and are not willing to accept nothing else ,its close mindless instead of being open to new ideas ,so many different discoveries have been made over the centuries and people need to see the bigger picture and open themselves up to new ideas .

loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't understand it either... I am always especially puzzled when someone asks a question and then takes issues with the answers it generates. If you didn't want to hear, why did you ask? I think that a lot of people feel that it's somehow heresy to even consider another faith, even in an objective kind of way... which is a shame, because I think that knowledge is power and it benefits us all to understand the beliefs of others (even if we don't personally share the beliefs.) I think if we all could listen we would see that most faiths advocate similar things (the golden rule, loving others, reverence for life, etc.) Another thing that puzzles me is the assumption that 'believing in God' and 'Christianity' are the exact same thing. They're not... there are MANY faiths that believe in God.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

Once i surrender my whole being to the Lord, i was 100% secure, free from doubt in Him!
    I respect other peoples beleifs, i listen to them , and i acknowldege to them that accepting Christ is true happyness. Whatever else they decide to do with that information is on the person. But when all is said and done, i am still 100% secure in my faith after the conversation . Accepting Him really puts things in prespective for you. I love to share His Good news, but I wont shoveit down yoru throat. God did give us free will to beleive whatever we want to believe. As a Christain, I
    want people to share the same love I Have for God. But how real would Love really be if it were forced. Hope this makes sense.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Cont..
    I think its great to hear other peoples point of views in life. And if after talking with them you still feel faithful to the Lord, y ouve passed a test of faith, while still compasionatly listening and learing from the other person. Its important to allow people to feel important. We shouldnt turn our backs when somone is trying to share their faith, we should listen with Compassion...while politlely sharing the Good nes Of God with them. Know what i mean?
    aMbeR012005