• In the Spotlight:

Is it okay to return an expensive gift--even before Christmas Day?

My parents live 1300 miles away and we rarely see them. They send us Christmas gifts thru the mail and I always open them up to make sure there are no inappropriate (long story) or duplicate gifts (like the same toy we bought ds or whatever.)
Well...this year they bought me a sweater from Macy's with a "return without receipt" tag attached. I think it is ugly, but it is cashmere. My 19 yr old dd saw the sweater and said that she would take it but I said I wanted to see how much it cost, first, because my parents are notorious for buying expensive stuff. I looked up the shirt at macys.com and it is a $55 sweater! Now, my thought is to return it, get the money, and buy myself *and* my daughter a sweater at another store --not at an expensive one like Macys.

So is this just rude of me or is it okay to return it and get something for both of us??

RainingHeart

Asked by RainingHeart at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Holidays

• I think your parents would want you to spend the money how you wanted or needed. Once, my grandmother bought me 6 sweaters from Macy's. I returned them for a total of 360 dollars and bought myself and my sister more practical clothes from other stores that were a lot cheaper that I get more wear out of than I would have with the sweaters. I think people usually want you to enjoy the money that they put into gifts, even if you would rather do something else with it..
    cdanielle407

Answer by cdanielle407 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think it's rude to return it and just get the money. You can exchange it for something else though.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i would return it, and not really worry about being rude. my mom does the same stuff. i usually end up taking a gift card for it, so i can get something else. and if you do it before XMAS, then you are beating the return lines.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• If your DD would like it, perhaps you should let her have the luxury of the cashmire sweater, also with the thought that it came from her grandparents. This would be my inclination. Other than that, I see no problem with your plan.

Answer by Bmat at 1:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• well i understand you.. but i would never return a gift. i would never give a gift away, at least not from my parents.

whatever my parents or grandparents give me (or us) for a gift im not giving away for anything. my grandma made a sweater for me once. totally weird looking. but she put so much effort and time in it that i wore it... just to make her happy.

if you know your parents will never ask about the sweater again you can go for it and get the money. maybe use a white lie.. tell your parents its too small/big ;)
    but i would not just go and get the money for some other stuff.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I am sure they would want you to have something you will actually wear ,rather than them having bought you something expensive and for it to sit at the bottom of your draws
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• At Macys you can only return for store credit with a return w/o receipt tag.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Well, crud then. I was hoping to be able to buy something at a less expensive store! That answers that then, doesn't it? lol...
    RainingHeart

Answer by RainingHeart at 1:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think it would be okay to return it and exchange it for a sweater you like better, but not to get cash back and go buy other things. If your daughter wants a sweater like that, you could buy her one yourself or mention it to your parents for next time. I personally have never returned a gift, even though I've gotten quite a few that I didn't care for! I just can't do it, especially if it's something from my dh or my family.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 1:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You should exchange it for another cashmier that your DD would like better and give it too her.
    Anonymous