• In the Spotlight:

Is it effective enough...have you used it before?

Me and my SO bought some contraceptives this weekend but haven't used them yet. He finishes his business elsewhere and I figured if we were protected enough then we could just enjoy ourselves 'til he is finished. We bought VCF, they are film strips that have to be inserted manually (haha...yuck). I was wondering if anyone has used them and how were they? I will NOT get on the pill (I don't want to be, he wants me to be) and I can't use condoms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Health

• I used them for several years. There is a trick to inserting them though, be REALLY super quick about it or you will end up with a mess.

I never got pregnant but it turned out I had infertility problems anyway... I know I am not great help but at least I was able to tell you to be quick!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• They have a good reputation from what I'm hearing AS LONG AS YOU AREN"T ALLERGIC TO NONOXYNOL- 9 (the spermicidal). Lots of women think they have a latex allergy because the react vaginally after using a condom. While latex allergies are on the rise many women are allergic to the spermicidal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• there are alternatives to latex condoms, if thats your problem just go take a walk past the condom display
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I used them for a while and did not get pregnant while using them. However, I'm not that fertile anyway and we had trouble getting pregnant when we were trying the first time. Also, I stopped using them after this one time when I realized after we had finished, that it didn't dissolve all the way. Half of it fell out completely intact. I would guess that that was "user error" but didn't want to take any chances. It does take some practice to get it placed correctly. The first time I tried it stuck to my finger and I couldn't get it off! Had to wash my hands for a solid 5 minutes! Talk about a mood killer!
    Anonymous

• I have used non-latex condoms and I think that they break easy...I don't trust them plus they don't fit him and only come in one size...we checked.
    Anonymous

• Are you against other birth control methods? Try these hassel free one!
    Want hassle-free, 99.8% effective birth control for up to 5 years (or less, if you choose)2? Mirena® is an estrogen-free intrauterine contraceptive for women who are looking for a contraceptive option to help simplify their lives. It's for women who have decided their families are just the right size, it's for expectant mothers to consider after they have had their baby, and it's for women who aren't satisfied with their current form of contraceptive. And, it can be removed at any time for a quick return to fertility2. Like to keep life simple? Then Mirena
    texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Here is another hassel free one>> NuvaRing is a comfortable, flexible ring about 2” in diameter. You insert it into your vagina once a month* — the exact position isn’t important for it to work. Once inside, NuvaRing releases a continuous low dose of hormones to prevent pregnancy. NuvaRing is as effective as the Pill when used as directed, but you don’t have to take it every day. You leave NuvaRing in place for 3 weeks, then remove it for a 1-week ring-free period. You should get your period during this “week off.” (Using NuvaRing as prescribed, you will continue to be protected from pregnancy during the ring-free week.) Exactly 1 week after you take NuvaRing out, you insert a new one.

texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• What about this one>> Women like the Patch. Millions of women have embraced the ORTHO EVRA birth control patch with great enthusiasm because it fits into their active lifestyles. In fact, 95% of women are satisfied with ORTHO EVRA as a discreet form of birth control.* Women find ORTHO EVRA convenient and easy to use. In a clinical study, women who used the Patch were more likely to use it consistently and properly than women who took birth control pills

texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Please be aware of this site for VCF and see below what it states on this site

http://www.vcf-contraceptive.com/isvcfright4me.html

If you have been told by your psysician that you should not become pregnant, then VCF may not be right for you. Consult your doctor before using VCF.

texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I want to have more babies for sure. He is the one who isn't ready and I will not get on any pills, patches, rings. Nothing is going in my body. I don't want to be on birth control and the only thing that I will try is VCF, foam, etc... Stuff that will not stay in my body.
    Anonymous