Chores for the kids

I have a 2 yr old daughter and a 4 yr old daughter.
I have a dog, and a bird.
I have an 80 yr old mother in law that I give 24/7 care for.

I need ideas on the types of chores I can give the kids. My mother in law likes to sweep and do dishes (she says it keeps her young and I like the help so I don't complain) My husband helps and most things end up 50/50 (like i cook and he will set then clear the table) I just need ideas and ways to get the little ones to actually DO the chores. What type rewards if any should be used?

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 9:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• The two year old should be able to help you sort laundry and put away some dishes. Your four year old could help you feed the dog and bird, fold and put away laundry, pick up toys and dust surfaces that don't have any breakables. They can also both help clean up toys and make their beds. We give our son a penny for every chore he completes and that seems to motivate him and when he collects enough pennies we let him pick out a toy at the dollar store. They also make chore charts where you give the child a sticker or marble and when they collect so many they get a treat like a toy or an activity to do that day.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My three year old likes to help me do what ever I do. I have two horses, two dogs, a cat and a litter of kittens, and a sheep. She likes to help me clean stalls and feed and brush the animals. When I'm sweeping she holds the dust pan and I make her pick up her toys and make her bed and when I do dishes, she likes to dry them. I guess because I'm a single mother, she doesn't really have anyone else to be with so she just wants to do what I'm doing. I also bought her a small broom and dust pan and she sweeps the aisle in the barn.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Starting them off young is a good idea. You can start them off by having them clean their room. Pick up all their toys and teach them to fix their bed. I have boys ages 5 and 7 and they help with trash and clean their room.
    MsPhyllis1985

Answer by MsPhyllis1985 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2011