Transitioning a 2.5 year old autistc boy into his own bed from mine

My 2.5 year old son has slept with me from birth. I would like to get him into his own bed. He doesn't talk very much at all, and i'm just finding it hard trying to figure out how to get him to understand that I want him in his bed!! I have tried putting his bed beside mine but he ends up in my bed anyways..

thanks

jankijac

Asked by jankijac at 10:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 27 mos old and he is also autistic. He is very fascinated with colors, so we purchased him a red car bed. I started him out slow. I first would just take him in his room to play. Help him adjust to the surroundings. Then I started sleeping with him in his bed for a few weeks. I have gotten him now where he will lay in the bed and go to sleep as long as I am beside him and after he falls asleep I sneak out of his room. He will then sleep a few hours. But it's a start lol!! Good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2008