Scared of everything

my DD is 22 months, and is scared of everything you can think of! i understand the world is a new place for her to be in but somethings she gets sooo affraid of that it is heart breaking!
at first it started out with water{ok understandable,every kid goes through that right?} then it came to bigger animals{dogs, horses, cows, donkeies} all of which i can understand everything is bigger than her now.
well then it became loud noises, her cuzs popped a bottle rocket with her in the back yard{she was perfectly safe nothing life threatening or anythign like that} btu she told me "no pop mommy, no pop." so i kept her away from the popping. we got her some fireworks that didnt make any noise they just shot sparkles in the air. well before we took her out side to these fireworks she noticed a candle on my night stand lit, she wanted to blow it out{safelty} i let her try but she couldnt quite figre it out so i just blew it out and we went out side. she was fine great, and then daddy lit a sparkler out in the yard while we sat up on the portch away, and she wigged out major! i mean she was clawing at me to get away screaming and trembling about no mommy pop! no pop! so i took her inside away from the sparklers{again no sound} and i wasnt even aloud out of hte kitchen on the other side of my house bc of how affraid she was!
so my husband and i talked and just descided ok fireworks just arent her thing for now, well try again another time maybe shell be more receptive after she passes this phase.
well tonight her pawpaw{who is the only other person i can say she loves more than me} lit his birthday candle to show her it was his b day and she just wigged out like he burnt her{he wasnt anywhere near her with it} and she wouldnthave anything to do with him and would start screaming and termebling crying for me. i am really worried about THIS fear,, i mean i dont want her to like fire but this is rather extreme, and to watch that much fear come over my little girl breaks my heart and makes me wanna bawl too...im so lost

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was like that. She was petrified of water and even the potty. She's much better now, she's 8. She's finally swimming and even went horseback riding. Just keep assuring her that it's OK, she'll outgrow it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• try maybe taking her around other kids her age who arent afraid of those things. my daughter was scared of fireworks at first too she literally nursed the whooole first fireworks display.. now she looooves them shes 3 and she gets soo happy about it. she will touch worms, bugs, centipedes (i wont touch those), even fish that we catch, everything.... it helped having other kids around who werent afraid to show her its okay. good luck hope she starts to enjoy the stuff too.
    cantewe

Answer by cantewe at 11:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My daughter was never afraid of water but she was afraid of big animals. She is now 4. She is afraid of loud noises. She wont use the restroom in a public like walmart because the toilets are to loud. We tried fireworks this year and she ran inside screaming and crying because some of them made some pop noises. She wouldnt even come out to watch the ones without noise. Your daughter probably is scared of the sparklers and candle because they remind her the bottle rocket in some way and are afraid they'll make noise. I think its normal for kids that young to be afraid. Just keep telling her its ok and eventually show her that candles are not the same thing. Start with a candle that is big and round and work your way down to a stick shaped bday candle. And dont light it in front of her, fire will remind her and scare her all over again. She'll outgrow it and learn.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• The water and big animals and loud noises she may out grow. She may not out grow the fear of fire and firework, and that does include candles and campfires. I never did, though when I was old I learned to cope with it. Do not force the issue, if you do you could make it worse. It could just be a stage, too. She may not out grow any of them and if she does not and you force the issue she may end up afraid of more things. I would at this age just keep that stuff away from her.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 8:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2011