What is the difference between IUD and MIRENA?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Mirena is a form of an IUD (Intro-Uterine Device). There are several forms of IUD, some with hormones, some without. Mirena is replaced after 5 years, while some non-hormonal IUDs are replaced after 10 years even. I would do a little research on the different types and ask your dr which is right for you. Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Mirena is a hormone IUD, other are made of copper.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Mirena is a brand of IUD.
    Anonymous

• I would not use it. It basically sheds the lining when you have an IUD in place. Basically you self-abort. I learned that in anatomy and physiology in high school.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 11:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I used Paraguard IUD, the copper one, non-hormonal. It was good for me because I was breastfeeding and I didn't want artificial hormones being passed to my baby. When we were ready to try for another I was pregnant within 2 months of removal, and I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant. Cons- once I started getting my period back after my first baby, around 6 months (because I was exclusively breastfeeding) it was really painful and really heavy. It is a side effect of that kind. I don't know if I would choose that kind again. This time around my hubby is getting fixed.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 8:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I am looking for a non hormonal one because I feel it makes me extremely anxious
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I wear a ParaGard too, I've had one since 1988 and I swear by it. I'm a smoker, so the non-hormonal was the better choice for me.
    Shell1960

Answer by Shell1960 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2011