Caffeine to calm your todler?

I was talking with my mom who is a sitter for a few friends’ kids. I was telling her how my son who has just turns 3 last month is starting to get more and more of a hyper pain in my butt and really testing me all the time. At first i thought it was kuse my husband and i had another baby. But, I’m not convinced of that now. She told me one of the boys she watches that is just a little older than my boy has ADD and that they were told to give him caffeine like coffee and tea to keep him calm. Now I’m not jumping on the giving my 3 year old coffee though i have caught him drinking from mine and my mom’s cups once or twice. But, we do give him tea in the summer but i don’t know if this is true, has anyone else heard of this?

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 9:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I do with my adhd son. It really works :)
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I can't imagine giving a hyperactive child more sugar and caffeine to calm them down. Because I remember when I was pregnant my obstetrician lecturing me to cut down on caffeine because it wasn't good for the baby in high doses so when did that change that now it calms a child down?
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• wow really? i thought she was pulling my lag.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It can be, for some kids. My MIL and SIL have told me how, when my husband was a child, they gave him some Benadryl, which hyped him up something awful, and the doctor told them to give him coffee to calm him down--and it worked. It's not going to work for every child; I would even say that it probably won't work for most. I don't know what particular behaviors would indicate that it might work. You may want to talk to a doctor about it first, unless you want to take the chance that it will affect your son normally.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• When I was little I was given a cup a day and I remember it worked like a charm. No sugar in it though.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• my DS has adhd (just like his mamma). it tends to work some. I refuse to medicate him unless he is having trouble in school, then i migh consider it. i have been giving him coffee since he was about 2. at first it was on accident, he took a sip of mine (cought him in the act) and he like it so i gave him a little more. rather then jumping all over the furniture like he usually does he watched cartoons quietly (well sort of quiet...nothing like he usually was). I was shocked. Then when we found out he had adhd, the dr suggested it because i dont want to medicate him.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 10:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• The medication for ADD is a stimulate and for some reason is does seem to calm them.  Just remember that little ones don't process caffeine as quickly as adults so keep it in lower dosage.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Giving my ADHD son a little caffeine does indeed help him calm down and keep him from being so impulsive. It helps kick fire the executive function part of their ADHD brains that are underfunctioning..

Here's a part of an article that describes what executive function does:)
    Working memory and recall (holding facts in mind while manipulating information; accessing facts stored in long-term memory.)
    Activation, arousal, and effort (getting started; paying attention; finishing work)
    Controlling emotions (ability to tolerate frustration; thinking before acting or speaking)
    Internalizing language (using "self-talk" to control one's behavior and direct future actions)
    Taking an issue apart, analyzing the pieces, reconstituting and organizing it into new ideas (complex problem solving).
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 10:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• ADHD meds are stimulants. The brain of someone with ADHD is just chemically a little different than the brain of someone without it. So yeah, a stimulant like caffeine acts differently to them than it does to someone like me. My husband has ADHD and he basically self-medicates with coffee. It's hard for him to focus without it (he goes off into a distracted fuzzy hyper haze).

If your son does not have ADHD, the coffee would be a bad idea - would just make things worse! But if he does have ADHD, go ahead and talk to his pediatrician about it!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It so works i have adhd and coffee calms me down ,It does totally opposite of what it would do to other people ,even benadrly (cant spell it ) like it calms most people down it would hype me up!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2011