Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Need advice! Friend is 39 weeks pregnant with too many complications, we're worried :(

Im hoping for some advice or someone to tell me Im just overreacting if thats the case. My best friend is preggo with her first baby. She has been measuring a couple wks ahead of her due date so they did an ultrasound last wk which showed the baby is meausring big. At 38wks the baby weighed approx 9.5 pounds and it also showed that her amniotic fluid was very low so they admitted her for 24 hours and gave her 5 bags of IV fluids, and then sent her home. She, her hubby, family and friends all are very nervous and asked about being induced due to the baby being so big and the danger of her fluids low and they said no. Today she went in for another check and now her BP is up and showing a small amount of protein in her urine. They are having her do 24hour urine collection tomorrow at home and come back on thursday, which is her due date. She is also very VERY swollen. Her feet, legs, hands, everything. Not just a little "normal pregnancy" type swollen....its bad... She can barely walk!
We are all worried that the baby is in danger. This appears to be a large baby, with low amniotic fluids, and now she is showing early signs of preeclampsia.
We are considering taking her to another hospital ER and asking them to take a look at her. The problem is, she doesnt seem to be too worried. Everyone is panicking but her. She is very mellow and doesnt seem nervous or scared at all. Ive had 4 kids and I know if i were in her situation, id be freaking out right now.
I would love to get advice from you ladies on this. Do you think Im overreacting? What would you do in this situation? If it was your baby, would you agree with this? I want to add she is going to a womens center type clinic and its a small town hospital...i am wanting to take her into the city, to a bigger hospital but I think she thinks Im crazy.
PLease give me some advice. Im terrified something is going to happen to this baby, it just seems like she has too many things wrong. I think they need to get the baby out. Im afraid something bad is going to happen. Do you think I should just let her be and trust these doctors?
What do you all think?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Answer Question

Asked by modelmomof4 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 3 (14 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Someone needs to SCREAM LOUDLY - those conditions can all create mental and physical issues in the baby.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • I had pre-eclampsia with my son it is no fun but it sounds like she shouldn't be at home if she has elevated bp, protein in her urine, and is swollen all over. There is probably nothing that you can do to change her mind, but I would try especially since she is so close to her due date there is no real risk in inducing labor now. As a first time mom she may not realize how important it is to be an advocate for your own health and that of your children because some doctors are lazy and are willing to risk a little than admit someone and be wrong. Good luck. Ask her if she is noticing any changes in her vision because it is a sign that her bp is getting dangerously high and she needs to go into the hospital.

    Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • The drs all keep saying that you shouldnt induce without a very good reason and a big baby is not a reason and the fluid levels arent that bad. But if they werent that bad, why did they admit her for 24 hours and push TONS of fluids through her? They seem to really want her to wait and try to have the baby come on its own because it the safest way according to them. It just doesnt seem like being in her belly is the safest place....seems to me, she would be better OUT. I dont know....Im so worried :(

    Comment by modelmomof4 (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • Having the baby come on his own is the IDEAL way. It sounds like her doctor needs to do something. Ideal doesn't always work and in this case, it might be safest for baby to come out now.

    Answer by TARARENEE at 10:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • She sounds like she has preclampsia and prob needs to deliever asap, she has 3 symptoms, high BP, protein in urine and swelling, you only need 2 symptoms to have preclampsia, I had it and was put in hospital on bedrest at 34 weeks, and delievered at 34 weeks and 6 days by emergency c section, a healthy baby, if its not monitored closely by good Drs it can be extremely dangerous, if it werent for my Drs my daughter may not be here.

    I dont understand at 39 weeks with all the symptoms they are not just keeping her in and deciding safest way to deliever, I would be insisting on it, she shouldnt be send home to do the 24 urine test she should be doing it in hospital! Has she been seeing a DR all the way through her pregnancy? I wish all the best with this!

    Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • I have been there, hate to be blunt but big baby+ low fluid = a kidney problem, The preclampsia can kill you but more likely will give you a stroke, google pics of that if she thinks it is funny. Yes she should go to a doc and most likely be induced and get an echogram of the baby's kidneys. Good luck. Btw, is the baby also breech?

    Answer by AmaliaD at 11:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • It does sound like she has a few problems . You say she is not worrying, not upset. Now what is so bad?I think that is really GOOD! Why is it wrong for her to "not be worried" ? I think it is a good thing that she is not worried. Getting hyper and scared and worried is UNHEALTHY and could cause her blood pressure to shoot up. Her Doctor will do what is necessary to take care of her and the baby....and in the meantime, it would be good if everyone stayed calm...including YOU! Too much drama.

    Answer by minnesotanice at 11:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • 9.5 pounds is a huge baby. Probably have to have a c-section. He'll probably be 10 pounds or so by the end of the week. I find male doctors more sympathetic than female midwives lol. As a friend of hers you should take her to the doctor in a bigger city in the morning. You don't want her getting complications and getting in real trouble. Say whatever it takes to get her over there. Good luck and take care of yourselves.

    Answer by istealcookies at 11:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • Thank you all for the advice and comments. I wil def try again in the morning. The baby is in position with head down and she is 1/2 cm dilated with occasional light contractions for about a week but nothing big. I dont want to be dramatic, that is why i wanted to get advice from see if Im panicking for no reason. Honestly, when it came to my babies, i would rather be extra cautious and worrysome and it end up being nothing, than not be worried and just see what happens and then regret it later, ya know? When it comes to my kids, i do tend to panick and i dont like taking chances. But thats just me...some people are certainly more calm than I am. I just wanted to get opinions from others if they would agree with this or if they would go to another hospital. Im getting the feeling, the majority feel she should be induced, or at least monitored in the hospital, so ill try to convince her in the AM. Thanks!!!

    Comment by modelmomof4 (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • I can see that you (and others) are very concerned. She is lucky to be surrounded by so much love & care.

    It is hard to "give you advice" or reply about if you are overreacting because we don't know the numbers, details:
    HOW "low" is her fluid?
    How do you *know* she may have pre-e, just swelling?
    A "big" baby is no reason to intervene, anyhow.

    Dilation is irrelevant, contractions aren't of concern.
    Her body is preparing to give birth.
    Sounds good there.

    So in this sense, you might be overreacting, yes... without knowing true numbers.
    Medical care providers are very likely to err in favor of intervening. It is done a LOT.
    And usually when not truly necessary.

    If your friend isn't worried, maybe it is because she is aware that her numbers are no longer dangerous, all is well now.
    It's hard to offer much help without details.
    Can you fill us in more?

    Answer by doulala at 2:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.