What do people not understand about REASONABLE DOUBT???

With Casey Anthony - the Prosecution had a weak case with all circumstantial evidence, no eye witness testimony and the Defense blasted enough holes in the Prosecution's case that the Jury could not beyond all REASONABLE DOUBT come back with a guilty verdict with the exceptions of the Lying to the Police as that was TAPED - NO DOUBT in that one.

If you read the jury forms, REASONABLE DOUBT is finely defined and if you have any doubt, you cannot give a guilty verdict. End of story. This is the way our judicial system works. You don't like it, figure out how to change it OR move.

twinsplus2more

Asked by twinsplus2more at 10:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• People are just frustrated/upset.I get you and i'm glad it is the way that it is..it's just that sometimes it really does suck.There will be guilty people go free and innocent people locked up sometimes with much less evidence.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I've been explaining this to people all day...all it really takes is one jurer to have a doubt....the prosecution didn't do a good job presenting and forseeing the "reasonable doubt" that the defense would come up with.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• The jury didn't even find her guilty of child endangerment! She allowed her daughter "to go missing" for 31 days before even calling police! She's guilty of a lot more than just lying to cops...
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I know....there must be 30 or 40 questions here ,all of them hysterically insisting that the Legal System is broken. LOL. If it wasn't for "reasobnable doubt" we wouldn't have any fairness or justice. It is built that way to protect us. How would it work if someone had a grudge adainst you and decided to spread false rumors and tried to make the public think you were guilty but you knew you weren't? That is where "reasonable doubt" comes in to protect you.
    I think she was guilty too...but the prosecution lost the case and couldn't find ABSOLUTE PROOF!
    I am really getting tired of seeing all these Casey questions. It is done. It is over.Nothing we can do.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I bumped ya!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I guess my issue is that in high profile cases reasonable doubt is replaced by any doubt at all- reasonable or otherwise-
    I feel like high profiles cases make jurors squeemish (and I do not blame them) where they confuse reasonable with any doubt at all-

soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I have been annoyed with this all day. The problem is this got way too much media attention. I also wish people would learn that not guilty does not mean INNOCENT. If i hear one more time "how could they possibly think she is innocent!" They don't have to. Not guilty = not proven. period. And i'm glad our system is like that or, why even have a legal system? Give a link to her making or obtaining chlorophorm, anything solid. They couldn't. What killed me is that in closing the prosecution said the guy that found the remains lied, but a liar didn't mean they were morally bankrupt. Um, you've spent 6 weeks basically saying her lies made her untrustworthy. Now his standards changed for his witness. Too much bs in that whole thing. What is sad is that they went forward with nothing solid. Now if something comes out, and it's bound too eventually, she can't be retried. Mel Ignato deja vu.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I agree with MichaelsMom, it wasn't just manslaughter charges and lying to the cops but also child endangerment. How could they allow that one through?
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't know how they could have possibly had reasonable doubt about the child endangerment. Her child was MISSING and she failed to notify the police. Her child was MISSING and instead of getting help to search for her the day after it supposedly happened she was laying up in bed with her boyfriend all day.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I get it. I was wondering the same thing, why are people surprised. Certainly guilty and free. But if I were accused, I would want the burden to be on the state too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2011