Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Labor Induction on Tuesday..Nervous lol

Ok so due date's in 2 days, and she's showing no signs of coming anytime soon. anyways the doctor scheduled a induction for tuesday if i dont have her by then. so my question is if that does happen what can i expect??!! with my first my upper waters broke before u went to the hospital and was given pitocin after many many hours of extreme contractions that were not doing anything, so ive experienced pitocin before will this be the same??!!

Answer Question
 
Sarahg83619

Asked by Sarahg83619 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 8 (218 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Once you are admitted you will be given an IV. The doctor will start you on pitocen and adjust the dose depending on how your body and the baby are reacting. If they give you too much pitocen you will hypercontract which is when the contraction continues for a long time, mine were like 5 minutes until the nurse came in and adjusted the medicine. Once you reach about 5 cm they will break your water if it doesn't break on its own and the contractions should intensify. The rest of labor will be similar to the labor you had with your first just expect it to take a little longer than when you went into labor on your own. I was on a constant monitor so I wasn't allowed to walk around but your hospital might have mobile monitoring units so that may not be an issue.
    amandajoy21

    Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • My daughter-in-law just went through this, and after 36 hours, she had a c-section. My advice is to wait and let your baby come when it is ready and when your body is ready. Childbirth was never meant to be helped as much as it is being helped nowdays.
    NannyB.

    Answer by NannyB. at 10:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • Good luck :)
    sugamama3

    Answer by sugamama3 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2011



  • Induction can come in many forms, did you discuss the route?
    What would you prefer?
    What is expected as far as "no signs of labor soon"?
    There doesn't need to be any signs~
    Are there complications to consider?

    Just to remind you that 40 weeks is the MID-point within that average (estimated) due period (38-42 weeks).
    To induce without a medical reason is to add unnecessary risks to you & baby.

    Informed Consent is important here, making sure you are getting all you need to know before deciding what you want to do,
    so you can weigh risks.

    Lots of help available~
    Best wishes!


    doulala

    Answer by doulala at 11:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • Why are you being induced? If it's just because you're 40 weeks that's not a good excuse. The second baby is a shorter labor and delivery anyway if you have it when the baby decides to come. Good luck to you.
    istealcookies

    Answer by istealcookies at 11:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • Why are you being induced? Is there something wrong with you or the baby?

    I was induced with # 2 and #3, #1 came 9 days late. I was having alot of swelling with the 2nd two and lots of back pain with #3. I was induced 2 days early with each of them.

    If everything is good with you and the baby, I would try to wait it out a few days. My doctor actually had to really push for me to get induced, as they don't like to induce as much anymore at my hospital. They would rather things go naturally if possible.
    OctMommyof3

    Answer by OctMommyof3 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

  • im a high risk pregnancy and the doctor said the baby isnt showing that she is continuing to thrive? my messurments arent changing they've stayed at 39 cm for almost 2 weeks now
    Sarahg83619

    Comment by Sarahg83619 (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2011


  • Why are you high risk?
    How is baby not thriving, what is indicating that?
    Do you know your Bishop's Score?

    Maybe it's not safer to force labor/baby out.
    Measuring 2 cm above/below is still within the normal range.
    And being outside that range doesn't necessarily mean there is any complication.

    Remember that induction is very risky.
    If health & safety are your priority then it is important to weigh risks.

    Is baby safer OUTside than in?
    How will you *know* ?



    doulala

    Answer by doulala at 2:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • Good Luck
    mamawilbur

    Answer by mamawilbur at 3:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.