Book of Mormon

NP brought up South Park in another thread and it got me thinking. The creators of South Park have a musical "The Book of Mormon". It has won tons of awards. Has anyone seen it? Does the title and the content alone make it "bad". Does the fact that the creators are known for their social commentary that runs the gamut and no topic is immune (ie- they don't just pick on religion) make it any better?

I love the social commentary in South Park- especially when aimed at me;)

PS- if you are LDS- do you find it especially offensive?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 10:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• This what the creators said

"What's powerful is not a magical mythical corporeal thing called God," he said. "It's the power of these ideas, and the power of the trust, and the power of the musical. That's where the true miracle is. And the result of the miracle is that people are good to each other."

I want to see it. I heard it's righteously awesome. I want to see it REAL BAD! It's supposed to be one of the best musicals Broadway's ever had.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I am an Atheist and I grew up in a LDS family and a LDS state but I agree with BeachyBabe. Even though Mormon is one of the religions I feel are more full of ****. I still think people religions need to be respected. I have LDS/Mormon friends.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I've not personally seen it. I feel people should be respectful of others beliefs. I am LDS.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 10:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• MOM-you are right there- good point- a lot of times its about religion in general and this sounds like it singles out LDS-interesting point-
    I love the anti-gay themed ones- holy cow- they can really drive that point home can't they?
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I've seen the episode and found it funny, but I'm not Mormon. South Park is well known for bashing just about every religion out there, and I don't take the show seriously. I don't know how accurately they stuck with the story of Joseph Smith, but most of the show had background vocals singing 'Dumb dumb dumb dumb'. Hard to miss that insult!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Religion *can* be funny...just depends on how sensitive you are.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 11:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• im a HUGE SP fan (just finished re-watching every episode on Netflix) even when they bash my own beliefs (they make fun of things so well). but this link has all i know about the play...i would love to see it tho!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-10-2011/trey-parker---matt-stone

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I actually live near South Park, CO. My husband was the director of special education for that town and a couple more out in there LOL I think their take on society and their unrelenting attacks on absolutely everything are absolutely hilarious. I have to kick my kids out of the room when I watch them though.
    I would love to see The Book of Mormon.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I actually live near South Park, CO

I was just there over the weekend at 11 Mile- camping-lots of fun, but no camp fires because of the burn ban-
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Really? I live in Buena Vista for now. In couple of weeks, we're moving to Evergreen
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2011