Is this a decision I should let my 13 yr old daughter make?

She can't go back to public school till January 2012, it involves a lot of drama and a really long story I won't get into. My husband wants her to go back to public school,however I really would rather she not go back. They have online schooling that she can do instead she has the same curriculum and she would be able to advance in all her studies if she is doing well,she can graduate early. I can also enter her into a small private school soon as she is in the 9th grade its a college prep school and I hear their fantastic and work with kids. My daughter has had a lot of trouble since 4th grade,lots of kids picking fights with her and her getting mouthy,I feel if she goes back to public school they will have thier eye on her and harras her forever. She doesnt want the drama anymore and the lies that are told about her. She has a problem with girls and almost would rather not hang with them ever. She says their a bunch of lieing drama queen bitches. I corrected her for that remark.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would say it should be a family decision, that includes her. But probably not one that she makes alone.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• it should be up to her at least it would be in my home at that age they know how they feel and what they want!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 11:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Public school is not for everyone. If your daughter is serious about her education and is self motivated, an online charter school can be a great solution. Just remember that if she does do school online at home, YOU will have a lot more extra work, making sure she is actually doing the work, progressing, studying with her, etc etc etc.
    mamatel

Answer by mamatel at 11:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think, she should go back to public school & learn to deal with her peers. Shell have to learn to deal with people at some point in her life.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• They are drama queen bitches but they are everywhere. My 14 year old can't stand it either but she found her clique.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would let you have some input, but I would make the final decision. It's hard being a teen and being teased and picked on does not make going to school easy.
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would let her do the online schooling until she was able to enter the private school.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• If it's what she feels comfortable with then you should support her. It's her going to the school and getting bullied after all.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think your daughter should express her opinion, but you and your husband are the parents and you need to make the decision. Perhaps your child needs more direction in her life. She needs to be able to get along with people. In the private school they will likely be more biased than they are in public school. However, you can send her there and give her a chance to make good. You should see to it that she has some education between now and January. She should not get behind with her education. Perhaps you can send her to Hungtington or Sylvan systems and have her tutored. She may be messing up because she isn't getting the education because of learning disabilities or she is bored. You could home school her until you decide to put her back in school or until she is permitted back since she appears to be expelled until January. You need to talk to your husband or do a council with the 3 of you and discuss options.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would ask for her opinion but not let her fully make that decision on her own. Honestly she's going to have to learn to deal with people eventually and letting her run away from the problem may make things harder on her in the long run.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2011