how do I get my daughter to sleep through the night?

My daughter is 10 months old and is still not sleeping through the night, she will wake up and want her bottle, i thinks its just a comfort thing but its getting out of hand, i try to feed her extra at dinner to try to hold her off, but it doesn't work, she drinks two whole bottles a night, sometimes 3, our formula goes fast : )
i tryed to put water in the bottle but she wont take it, she wont take a pacifier either, never has, she will only sleep if that dang bottle is IN her mouth lol, any advice, or do I have to let her cry it out without the bottle : (

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, my baby is only 7mo. old but she is sleeping through the night-most of the time-unless her brother or sister wake up and in turn wake her up.... They all share a room for now.... But, I feed her 1 last bottle anywhere between 8pm-10pm and it is a full 6oz. bottle(formula).... Then I put her to bed half awake half drowzy, and give her a stuffed animal or her pacifier(after she' burped and everything) then turn on the little music thing hanging from her crib, kiss her good night, dim the lights and go out the door...... The longest she usually cries is about 10min. at max anymore.....
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Make sure and ask your doctor about giving your baby water. I know it is dangerous (very deadly) for newborns, but I'm not sure what age that stops. According to Dr. Sears, the only thing you teach your baby by letting her cry at night and not feeding her during the night when she's hungry is that her needs -emotional and basic- won't be met. You can read about that in The Baby Book by Dr Sears.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You could try putting baby cereal in her bottle that you feed her right before she goes to bed. Not too much so it's still drinkable. You'll need to make the nipple a little bigger too. That way it fills her up just a bit more with something that will stick. My mom did this with all her children and she said we slept through the night perfectly after she started. I hope she'll start sleeping through the night soon!
    Anonymous