How would you make your inlaws understand ? ( there house is worth a quarter of what they are trying to sell it for)

My MIl and FIL decided it was time to sell the house they have lived in since the last 70s ... I am someone who likes older houses, and can see the beauty in a "ugly" house... but their house --well just no words can describe ...

I understand they have emotinal value in the house, and I also understand MIL has kept it very clean over the years... but on the other hand, they NEED to sell it, or else they are going to lose all their money ...

They have already got a new house, already moved in to the new house and love the new house...

Their house has been on the market for over 18 months and not even a second look by anyone who has already seen it...

think of every 60's and 70's time warp kind of thing you can image and you will find it in that house... not a room is without dark ( and I mean dark) wood paneling, and green shag carpet ( and I mean baby puke green-yellow) ... every countertop is laminate baby puke green, and wherever there is not super dark wood paneling is knotty pine paneling and cabinets...

EVEN if someone could look past all of that and still want the house - chances are they couldnt afford it.... in a town where you can get a decent house around $80,000 , and a brand new mini mansion with some acreage is about $150,000 ... they are asking ( and have yet to lower it) ..... $235,000 !!!!!!!

they barely even have a yard... it is the second most expensive property in the town ( the 1st being a $300,000 8 bedroom hunting lodge ) ...

i serioulsy laughed out loud when i heard the price for the first time...and I am sure I am not the only one... my husband has tried to talk to them, their realtor has basically threatened to take their listing away if they dont lower it and yet they refuse...

i am so worried that they will not beable to pay for themselves anymore if they do not sell this house ( I bet they couldnt even get $70,000) ...and then of course my husband and I will be responsible.... and if you met my MIL that would give you nightmares !!!! ( think marie from everyone loves raymond times 10 !)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• You can show them online what other houses in the area are selling for.

http://www.zillow.com/
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• They will just have to figure it out the hard way then, it will not do you any good to get involved only create drama and heartache for you and your husband.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would say stay out of it and let them figure it out themselves
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Show them the comps....tell them the obvious, I'm surprised their realtor is even dealing with them...and by the way I want to live in your town!! Cheap houses!!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Why would you and your husband be responsible though?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Show them the comps. Show them similar and nicer houses in your area. Unfortunately, housing prices have plummeted, and a lot o people still haven't accepted that. Beyond that, however, there is little you can do except let them fall. It sucks for sure. Are they selling it themselves, or through an agent? The agent would have shown them comps already, and tried to convince them of the price gap. In that case, it's out of your hands.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• they will just have to learn! my hubby is a realtor! its the story of his life! everyone thinks their house is worth gold! they have to update everything to get that price for their house! that price is crazy! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• OMG 235,000 would be cheep around here - even for a 3 bedroom Ranch!! But, as PP's have said, you have to stay out of it. It's their Realtors job to deal with that.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• GO to zillow.com. It shows exactly how much the house is worth day by day. My parents are trying to sell their house and they put their house on the market for exactly what it was worth and they have two people fighting over it!
    jessicapoker

Answer by jessicapoker at 12:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Zillow.com will give them an accurate price on their home and is well respected. Redfin.com is a close second.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2011