Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Checking Accounts (seperate or combined)

Hi Ladies,

Do you and your husband have seperate or a combined checking account, If you both work?

If seperate, how are the bills paid?

My husband and have a combined checking account and my ex and I were the same way. People look at as weird when they hear we don't still have seperate checking accounts. Just this weekend we were out with a group of friends and the wife turned to her husband and asked if she was paying or him (they also had their 2 children with them).

Answer Question
 
OctMommyof3

Asked by OctMommyof3 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 13 (1,047 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • We only have one of each, and yes we both work fulltime. There are no bills I pay and bills he pays since the money is all lumped together. It works with us, we are married and it's OUR money.
    GomezMami2908

    Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • Everything is shared! For us, part of our union and intimacy is sharing finances and being accountable to each other for what we spend and save. It helps us stay focused on a common vision for our future!
    praying4baby985

    Answer by praying4baby985 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • We have two accounts, one for each paycheck, but they are joint accounts. Mine covers the mortgage and money going into savings. His covers everything else. Sharing has never been an issue, and we've been married 16 years.
    anng.atlanta

    Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • We have a joint and I have a separate. We both have savings accounts and one together. A whole lot of accounts.
    HollyBoBolly

    Answer by HollyBoBolly at 12:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • My hubs and I decided before we got married 20 yrs ago that we would keep separate accounts. (I actually prefer to have separate accounts, I like having my own $). We have different banking styles (I keep accurate records of all my transactions, hubs 'guestimates' how much he spent/has), I know if we had to share an account there would be problems, fights and many discussions on spending. As far as bills go, we each have certain ones that we are responsible for and pay.
    MizLee

    Answer by MizLee at 12:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • We have a checking together and we pay for the bills from that. I also have a checking for myself, because dh doesn't like me carrying the joint checkbook. I use mine to buy things for myself or if I have to pay for dd's classes and things.
    Ashoonik

    Answer by Ashoonik at 12:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • We have separate checking accounts. We have divided the bills so that he pays the mortgage and for a remodel we did of the house. I pay the small bills such as utilities and groceries. It works so that we each have spending money of our own to do with as we wish. If there is a big ticket item to purchase we work out how much we are each paying. We both are very responsible and make sure that the bills are paid before spending anything on ourselves.
    Keksie

    Answer by Keksie at 7:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • We have combined finances. We attended Financial Peace University in 2009, and it's made a great difference in how we relate to money.

    If you want an example of someone whose finances are separate, check out JD Roth's Get Rich Slowly website: http://www.getrichslowly.org. Do a search for his Laundry Agreement. He's done a couple of posts that explain really well how their system works for them.
    NooraK

    Answer by NooraK at 8:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • My DH has his own checking account that 95% of the bills are paid out of. Then we have a joint account that my check goes into and we pay the other 5% of the bills from it. He won't put my name on his account b/c his first wife burned him by emptying the account when we took off.
    CometGirl

    Answer by CometGirl at 11:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

  • We have his, hers and ours accounts, but technically both names are on all of them.

    Our main account is tied to the checkbook, and that's where paychecks are deposited. We pay all bills from this - mortgage, utilities, tithe, and pay off gas, etc from the credit card each month.

    My account ties to my debit card, and I use for groceries, errands, etc.

    His account ties to his debit card, which he uses for incidentals, work dinners, etc.

    It's really a modified envelope system, actually; we just carry debit cards instead of envelopes of cash!
    KateDinVA

    Answer by KateDinVA at 11:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN