Does anyone feel like they missed out on something buy having a c-section for their first born?

Amr515

Asked by Amr515 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I used to have more issues with it but I think that had a lot to do with being compared to a close family friend who had a baby at about the same time as me and had a homebirth or that I'm the first c-section in both mine and DH's family so I had to deal with things and prejudices that the family had.
    After a lot of talking it out and getting away from all the women yelling at me about how unnessesary my c-section was and how stupid I was to agree to it. I feel great and will be doing it again next time by choice whether or not we find out that they are breech at 8cm.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I tried for a vaginal birth. If it wasn't for the ability of C-sections my son, and I, would have died in childbirth. So, no, I do NOT feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yep. But I was more concerned that because I had a necessary C section that the choice to have any amount of kids I wanted was taken away from me. I learned to be careful what you wish for because my next pregnancy was TWINS! lol
    I do wish I could have had the opportunity to go natural....but my body likes to keep my babies in :) I've never dialated or contracted!
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 12:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Not personally. I just wish the doctor had told me how hard it would be to find someone willing to let me have a vaginal birth the second time around, but he seemed to be more intent on scaring me into the necessity of a scheduled C-section because an ultrasound predicted (wrongly) that my son would be "too big". I'm stll a bit pissed at the doctor (obviously), but the actual birth left no emotional scars or regrets.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I tried so hard to have a vaginal birth, but my son's heartbeat stopped and I had to have sn emergency c-section. I was so thankful for the drs ability to work so fast and save my son that I've never felt I missed anything.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My daughter was born prematurely, so there was enough trauma going on that being told a c-section was necessary came as a relief knowing I wouldn't have to endure labor on top of everything else going on.

In my situation it really didn't matter how she was born. I saw her all of 2 seconds while she was being wheeled into the NICU, then not again for another 36 hours till it was safe for me to get out of bed.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Nope! I knew ahead of time that the birth could go either way, and after going thru a very long and horrible labor, pushing for what seemed like hours with no results, then having the dr use forcepts, suction and still no baby........ I was very thankful that they finally did the c-section!! I wish they would have done it a lot sooner. I was very glad that #2 and #3 were planned c-sections!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• No. I didn't miss anything. I got my beautiful little girl. I was so tired afterward from the previous 30 hours of labor that I just passed out and I feel like I missed the first hours of my daughters life. We are looking forward to the next csection at the end of October.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Get in touch with your local chapter of ICAN. These feelings are normal, and they are an amazing support network and will offer so many resources for you. Especially to help you plan a VBAC if you choose for your next pregnancy.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 12:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Baby is now 11 weeks, and he's the most precious baby! BUT the grief I have at the way the birth turned out is still there...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2011