Does anyone work for Amscot?

What right do they have to demand proof of what the money you receive is spent on?

My SO lost his job; he's trying to find another one. His mother works as a bartender at night and send him her tips every day so we have something to live on until he finds something else.

He went to Amscot tonight to pick up the money because the grocery store was already closed; and the people at Amscot told him they couldn't give him the money until he shows them documentation of what he's spent the last two months worth of transactions on!????

What gives them the right to this information?

We're in Florida if that matters?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I sure hope that that sort of place is your last resort. You can dig yourself pretty quickly, into a deep hole Good luck
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Oh sorry, should have clarified; he's trying to pick up a Western Union from his mom - Amscot is the only place still open that has Western Union.

I'm trying to figure out what business is it of theirs what the money is spent on? Do your job and pay out the money per your contract with Western Union!!??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I work at Amscot. We understand this can be a bit frustrating but, after 911 the US patriot act imposed regulations on banks and Money Service Businesses to "know our customers" and know how our products and services are being used. It's nothing personal against you - we simply note your account as to the purpose of the transaction. The bottom line for any banking institution, or at least a reputable one such as Amscot, is that that they need to know how their services are being used and have to make sure the transactions make sense to the consumer. I wouldn’t sweat it.. Amscot is the best out there, very reputable, and always great to deal with. If you call 1-800-333-6130 it’s our Customer Service department and explain what you wrote above, we can work to get the account cleared so that your transactions can be processed without a hassle.

Hope this helps!

Answers4u

Answer by Answers4u at 10:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Not exactly how they explained it to us last night.

They're not just asking for him to "tell" them what the money is for (which I still feel is none of their business).

They want actual physical proof of what he's spent the money on. As though we've kept grocery and gas receipts for the past two months - we might have last months utility statements; but not the previous months!

If we were "borrowing" money then perhaps I could see (though I still feel it's no one's business) but we're not - we're picking up a Western Union; money sent to him by his mother.

This is infuriating and to be honest will likely be the last time we ever visit an Amscot for any reason (check cashing; Western Union; or tax prep). And I'm also going to make sure that everyone I know is aware that Amscot is nothing but an extension of government's "Big Brother" spying on the general public.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Give us a shot to fix it.. call us at 1-800-333-6130 and trust me that they will do everything they can to help resolve this.
    Answers4u

Answer by Answers4u at 2:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011