Raised Catholic, don't agree with everthing they believe In. I wish their was a place just called "church".

Amr515

Asked by Amr515 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love your Post! I understand exactly what you mean. My church is within me, between me and God. I am well versed with the bible and try to live by his words, but sometimes I just don't agree with everything I read. But thats okay with me. I have peace and thats what works for myself.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Good luck with that one. I wandered around for a bit and tried out different churches to see how they fit. I never found one where i felt sacredness.
    So, what I do is stick with my old Catholic church, get as involved with as many things as I have time to. And I pray a lot. I pray that God either let me understand what I don't want to believe or that I attain the courage to try to change it.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• With all due respect, I am curious why you don't agree with what the Catholic Church teaches. Have you ever read the Early Church Fathers? There are writings going back as early as 100 A.D. that show the early church believed the same things the Catholic Church teaches. A good resource is http://www.newadvent.org
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• There is a church called church but there also is a bar called church so be careful in what you wish for you may just be misled....... I can only hope you find your path..... and I doesn't pull you too far from the fold.

traren

Answer by traren at 1:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• sounds like you fit in with most the Catholics in America. Many do not agree with everything the church teaches.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 1:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• OP, I think that is a huge problem with many Christians, and why there are so many denomations and so many churches started in people's basements. People want a church where they can agree with every little thing they teach, except that's impossible unless you are a church of one. So, the best anyone can do in any denomination is to take the best parts that you do agree with and go from there. Study the religion more (Catholic, or whatever other one you choose), and try to understand those parts you don't agree with. Where do those ideas come from, why are they taught? Soon you will find that the Church isn't as what you thought it was.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You may want to look into historic reformed theology (protestant). It isn't a denomination, it doesn't demonize the Catholic church (although as protestantism goes they do disagree on a number of things), but we also read the teachings of early church fathers like Augustine and Aquinas for example, and seek to follow the orthodox teachings of Christ. If you are interested in learning more about what historic reformed theology is you can click here.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You do not need a church to worship!

Answer by older at 10:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• There is. It's called Unitarian Universalism.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 1:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2011