When they can hold there own bottle......

When they can, do you still need to burp them, and also when they wake up in the middle of the night for a bottle, do you give it to them and let them hold it and go back to sleep, or do you still pick them up and hold them while they drink it? THis probably sounds retarded, but it woun't be long untill my daughter can hold her own bottle, and i wasn't sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would go ahead and let her hold it, thats what i did with my daughter, i just handed it to her and i went back to sleep lol, it is really nice when they do this cuz you deffinentley get more sleep : ) at first it will be hard cuz when they drop it they dont realize how to pick it up yet, so you will have to work on it
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• NO bottles in the bed.

Not ever.

Feeding time is FACE time - whether it's bottle or oobie-bay. You will be tired - suck it up and enjoy the quiet time.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yeah she will still need to be burped. I would stay in there with her, but its your choice I guess. I hadn't even considered leaving my daughter in there lol... Then again, I dont get up in the middle of the night with her... she sleeps all night.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 2:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Well, she still sleeps in our room. In her crip that is right next to my side of the bed. Like 2 feet away. I literally stump my toe when i get up .
    Anonymous

• My dd protested and wouldn't hold her bottle until probably closer to 9 months. We used drop-ins, so she could just hold the nipple in her mouth and suck. The bag would collapse around it and it kinda worked like a straw. Lazy baby. She didn't take to sippy cups for the same reason. I got her two straw ups and she did great! Then around 11 months she learned to tilt her head back and drink. Now she can't figure out why the straw ones doen't work. Kids are silly! :) I didn't burp my baby after feeds then b/c she was so much older. And she sleep through the night at 8 weeks, so that was never an issue either.
    Anonymous

• my kids never burped for me, but never had gas either. my kids held their bottle at 5 months.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think handing her the bottle in bed is okay. It will teach her that night time is time to stay in bed and hopefully will work her into sleeping through the night. I don't see any problem, it's not like you'll never hold her when you feed her. You can have different rules for daytime than night time. You'll be a better mom with more sleep anyway because you'll have more energy and patience.

Also, if you think you're ready, move her into her own room and she might sleep a little better.
    Anonymous

• My daughter started demanding to hold her own bottle by the time she was 6 months old! LOL I think its a great thing--it gives them more practice at hand-eye coordination, encourages muscle strength and stamina to hold the bottle, and helps develop independence. My daughter is 7 1/2 months old now, and while I will put her in "her" chair (its actually Daddy's big comfy chair) with her bottle, I am not comfortable leaving her with no supervision yet. My opinion is that if you give a bottle at night, and you stay to observe, if your baby has any problems with choking or something, then you are right there to help. I am probably a paranoid parent, but I am just not ready for my baby to eat/drink unsupervised yet.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 3:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2008