have an IUD, period for over a week, what do i do?

I just got my IUD the end of June, started my period a week later, and now, i cant stop bleeding, its hard core bleeding. I hadn't had my period since August of 06, had first one June 2nd. what should i do.

Skyesmygirl

Asked by Skyesmygirl at 10:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Health

• Call your Dr. ASAP.. I had one put in and developed a severe infection and had to have it taken out on emergency.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Call your doc. Although it may seem very unusual abnormal bleeding with an IUD is normal. There are some women who will bleed for a year and some who luck out and barely bleed at all. I got my IUD in April and I bled for about 2 weeks really heavily and then it backed off. I have had one period since and it was very light. I would still check with your doc though.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2008