Have you ever gone on a cleaning strike?

If so, did it work? I've heard a lot of people threatening to do this, but I don't know anyone who has followed through. I would think you would just end up with a bigger mess to clean!

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 2:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Yep I made a sign and everything LOL! It kind of worked-everybody was a little more considerate after that.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I have. And I did end up with a humongous mess to clean up, but it really showed everyone how much I do everyday and what would happen if I wasn't there to do it. This was with my ex.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yup just recently. Didn't turn out so well. My husband has been sitting on his ass for over a month now, and I finally went on strike. It lasted almost 2 wks, and neither of us caved....alas our quarterly apartment inspection is tomorrow, so guess we'll be working our asses off now....
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• no cuz if i do that nothing will get done and i hate mess lol
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'd have to be a good cleaner to go on strike. I'm generally mediocre anyway, so strike or no, it'd be the same.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Sure have. Nobody seemed to mind,except me.I'm making a cleaning chart though with chores for everyone.Wish me luck.
    janie1973bon

Answer by janie1973bon at 3:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• yes I have and also a Not cooking strike as well. And yes both work wonders! No need for verbal arguments when I can just let the house go to shit , let dishes pile up, not make up the bed, and not cook...it's "so, where are we gonna eat out tonight?!! " hahaha yes it works the best. That's how I solve alot of my issues with my husband. it's better than fighting right? :)
    disturbedplanet

Answer by disturbedplanet at 3:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes, but only for my sons' rooms. I refused to have anything more to do with them. I closed the doors to the rooms.
    I've never gone on a cleaning strike in the rest of the place though because of sanitary considerations and cat hair and not wanting to draw ants or other bugs or rodents in.

Answer by Bmat at 3:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I have done it a few times. The worst was when I lived with my stepbrother and now DH and was still in high school and worked full-time too and they went to work came home and played video games so I went on strike! After about 2 weeks of it my grandmother who is of the 'diner is hot on the table when hubby gets home and the man doesn't raise a finger around the house' belief came to my house! I thought the woman was going to die right there! It looked like a bachelor pad/frat house since they were mildly embarrassed to have company I threatened to invite their moms over and they decided we all needed to take a day and clean!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I did it to the dishes. I usually end up giving in but everyonce in a while my dh does it.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008