How do I fight that "I'm not ready for this" fear?

I don't live near any family or close friends, and this is my first pregnancy. I'm at 35 weeks and I feel like I'm no better prepared now than when I first became pregnant. It seems like every book or article I read brings about more questions and self doubts.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Just like all the other moms say It's not as hard as it sounds. Labor and Delivery will be fine as long as you just keep telling your self to calm down and breath. Your body was so made to do this and it's only a matter of (hopefully) hours and you'll have your beautiful baby. Once the baby is in your arms you'll know what to do, believe me. My daughter is 20 months old and my second daughter is 4 months and I still can't believe I gave birth to them. I amaze my self at the things I do as a parent. If you have any questions about labor you can ask me, I'll share my experiences at least. =) good luck
    Mrs.Wills

Answer by Mrs.Wills at 6:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• your ready motherhood is a natural thing and once you have your baby you will know what i mean don't worry yourself
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• This is like riding a roller coaster, seems like a fun idea at first, and then the ride starts. Up the hill you go. Then the brief stop at the top..................too late to change your mind, and WOOOSH, down the hill you go. Yes, having a baby and raising a baby is a VERY scarey thing. But, one way or another you gotta get it out of you! LOL! Try not to read so much, i know you want to be informed, but you will read a lot of stuff that just will drive you nuts. You are ready, whether you believe it or not. Just remind yourself of that. And ask yourself, are you ready to love someone more then you could ever imagine loving anyone? And are you ready to accept that person's unconditional love no matter what you do. You will prolly make mistakes, we all have. It's human!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I had to remind myself that zillions of women worldwide and over the centuries have done just fine giving birth and being a Mom. That you have been reading and that you are worried show that your heart and head are in exactly the right place. It will all come to you. You can call the pediatrician if you have medical worries. Don't forget that even though your close friends and family are at a distance there are phones and email, you might try to use these for contacting your family and friends. Best of luck. You'll do fine.

Answer by Bmat at 3:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It will be alright I am 19 going on my second baby and it is really not as hard as people make it sound. Being a mom is something that comes naturally to most people and once that perfect little baby come out it will seem like you were worried for nothing.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Once you're actually doing it, it's not nearly as scary as it seems like it will be now. Your love for your baby will be much stronger than the fear. Follow your instincts and your baby's cues.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• KNOW THAT YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO'S SCARED. Have you found any moms in your area? That can really help. Check online for mom groups (I found one on meetup.com that I LOVE), through your hospital, church, or find out from your doctor's office. I met some other moms with young kids or pregnant women, and it's SO nice to have that support from other women who are in the same place in their lives. Kept me from feeling so alone. Just know that most of us were scared, too, and weren't sure we were ready. My son is almost 4 months old, and I still wonder if I'm ready, sometimes! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2008