• In the Spotlight:

The hospital gave my newborn staph!

When I gave birth to my son the hospital gave him staph! Has anyone else ever had any problem with this? He had a spinal tap done and a picc line and was on vancomyecin. Ever since he has been sick and not the baby boy I once had! Is this medical malpractice?

Mommy2Bx32008

Asked by Mommy2Bx32008 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you sure they gave him staff? cuz thats really seriouse iv had staff befor once you have had it once its likely to pop alot after that he needs to be on antibiotics if he has staff. I dont think its malpractice though things happen.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Did he get the STAPH from the pic line or spinal tap or did they do those before the infection?
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• unfortunatley I don't think that is malpractice. :( It's just one of the side effects of hospitalization. When a persons immune system is supressed, it is more succeptable to secondary infections. Everyone has staph naturally living on our skin, it is just not enough to cause an infection. BUT with a surpressed immune system, sometimes our body loses the ability to fight off the infection.

Sorry that happened to your baby boy!! :(
    mum2gr8byz

Answer by mum2gr8byz at 3:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• He had them done because of the infection. He had staph before we left the hospital to take him home and he wasnt the only newborn that got it from this hospital. We have medical bills in excess of 30K cuz of this crap!
    Mommy2Bx32008

Answer by Mommy2Bx32008 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Most likely your child got staph from you or someone visiting him...not the hospital, and no you can't sue for it. Sorry you little one is sick, I've had a staph infection and it's no fun.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• we all have staph its jst that when our bodies immune system is down it can make us more likely to become sick from it plus staph is contagiouse. I dont think its malpractice its just what happens at times. your baby was in the hospital its immune system was down and he managed to get staph
    Anonymous

• Since he had it done b/c of the infection it would be really hard to prove where the Staph came from since it lives naturally on the skin anyway. I'm sorry that happened to him....I hope he gets better soon. I don't think you have a malpractice suit
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• The exclamation points that the end of your first sentence up above are a little unnecesssary and kind of rude......all people are saying the same thing....staph is something that occurs naturally on the skin and you can't prove the hospital gave it to him. If you think you have a case then call a lawyer.
    Anonymous

• >If you knew all this why are you asking on here? Now it just looks like you're starting trouble. The FACT is that if you sue, you can not prove he got staph from the hospital or it's staff, it could have come from your hands as you changed his diaper. Staph is a bacteria that lives on all humans, it is on our skin and sometimes people get staph infections. People sueing for these kinds of things that happen but are NO fault of the hospital are the reason healthcare costs are going up.
    Anonymous

• OP, since you obviously have the definition of noscomial infection down pat, why are you asking us? Not a slam...just curious. If you are seriously considering a malpractice suit, you should be consulting an attorney. Again, not a slam....does your insurance cover most of the $30K in bills? If so, you might have a hard time getting an attorney to take the case...there isn't much money in it for him and it might be considered frivolous..unless you can prove lasting harm to the child.
    Anonymous