• In the Spotlight:

Dishwasher or Hand Wash Dishes?

I just moved into a house, where we will have a water bill. We've lived in apartments where the water was included at a flat rate, so I'm sort of trying to conserve water and energy in general where I can. My question is hand wash or dishwasher? When I run the dishwasher I run the short cycle, and I don't use the heat dry, I just open it and let it air dry. OR I can hand wash, fill one side of the sink with soapy water to clean and then run the water to rinse, but it's the running of that water that I worry about. Any suggestions? Thanks ladies!

momofana82

Asked by momofana82 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I was sure that I'd save water by hand washing. But one time I measured the water I used to hand wash and much to my amazement the dishwasher used less, and besides, I think the water stays hotter longer and so it may be more sanitary.

Answer by Bmat at 3:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i wash my dishes
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Use the dish washer for one month. Then wash the dishes by hand the next month. Check both water bills to see witch one is cheeper.

Answer by louise2 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't pay for water but my electric bill dropped $17 a month after getting a dishwasher. We do have an electric hot water heater and a private well so we don't pay for water other than the cost to run the water pump. Another factor I consider is that we had the dishwasher hooked up right after it got cold when our electric bill goes up anyhow.
    Anonymous

• hand wash
    MMSTUTUSANDMORE

Answer by MMSTUTUSANDMORE at 3:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I also lived in an appartment where the water was included in the rent and then the hot water was disbursed through out the building. I always used the dishwasher back then.

I have been living in my new home for 2 moths now and I find that hand washing is much better. I used the dishwasher and my bill was up there!!
    mamade92883

Answer by mamade92883 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I hand wash my dishes because we don't have a dishwasher, but if we had one, I would definitely run it!!!
    mamaoftwins9197

Answer by mamaoftwins9197 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I love dishwashers (as long as they are actually working). I like the suggestion that you do one for one month and do the other for the next month and see if there is a difference.
    jamielv81

Answer by jamielv81 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I do both - I put all the "regular" dishes in the dishwasher, but I hand wash the pots and pans and any big spatulas, scrapers, pancake flippers, etc. with grooves b/c they don't get clean in the dishwasher. With rinsing each item (plates, glasses, silverware especially) I use more water than the dishwasher. Also, if you're concerned about the environment, use the water saver mode on your dishwasher and try seventh generation or other eco-friendly soap.
    3Elizabeth

Answer by 3Elizabeth at 5:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't give a crap what it costs...I'm running my dishwasher! LOL! I grew up washing dishes by hand and I hate washing dishes by hand and my dishwasher was a gift for my anniversary from my wonderful husband. I love my dishwasher and will never part from it! LOL!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 5:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008